Nashville Soccer Club Clinches Berth in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs for the Third Consecutive Season
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Nashville Soccer Club officially clinched a berth in the Audi 2022 MLS Cup Playoffs for the third consecutive season after a dramatic 2-1 loss by the Portland Timbers to LAFC.
"Being able to advance to the playoffs for a third consecutive year is something we are all so proud of, and know it puts our club in exclusive company," said Nashville SC General Manager Mike Jacobs. "The players and staff have worked so hard to put our club in this position, and can now press along with trying to achieve the best seed possible as we prepare for the postseason."
Nashville SC has proven to be one of the elite expansion clubs in MLS history since its entrance in 2020, reaching the playoffs each of the last three seasons. With the accomplishment, the Boys in Gold join Atlanta United FC, LAFC, and Seattle Sounders FC as the only teams in the modern expansion era to clinch a playoff berth consecutively in their first three seasons.
The path to clinching a playoff berth in 2022 has been impressive after Nashville SC began the season with eight consecutive road matches before opening GEODIS Park. Nashville SC finished the stretch with more points per game (1.38) than any other team in league history to start a season with eight or more matches on the road.
Nashville SC has hosted playoff matches in each of its first two playoff appearances, outscoring opponents 6-1, and reaching the Conference Semifinals both years. For the first time in its history, however, Nashville will appear in the playoffs as a member of the Western Conference.
In the midst of a six-match unbeaten streak that dates back to Aug. 14, the Boys in Gold will continue their pursuit of hosting a playoff match with two MLS regular season matches remaining. Nashville SC will host Houston Dynamo FC at 7:30 p.m. CT on Sunday first, before traveling to LAFC on Decision Day on Oct. 9.
Nashville has been led this season by Landon Donovan MLS MVP frontrunner Hany Mukhtar, who reigns as the Golden Boot leader in MLS with 23 goals and 34 goal contributions. The German registered 17 goals and six assists in his last 15 matches. Mukhtar has been vital to Nashville SC's success as an elite expansion side, being involved in over half of the club's regular season goals in history (70 of 129).
Come on in to GEODIS Park at 7:30 p.m. CT tonight to celebrate Nashville SC's playoff clinching. Get your tickets at www.NashvilleSC.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 2, 2022
- St Louis CITY2 Are Champions of MLS NEXT Pro Western Conference Finals - St. Louis City SC
- A Burgundy Affair: Rapids Celebrate Players, Staff, Fans at Annual Awards Gala - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Earns Sixth Straight Home Win - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC Falls 1-0 on the Road to Sporting Kansas City - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Decision Day 2022 Broadcast Details Announced - MLS
- LAFC Beats Portland 2-1, Wins Supporters' Shield and Homefield Advantage in Audi 2022 MLS Cup Playoffs - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Fall 2-1 in Regular-Season Home Finale to LAFC - Portland Timbers
- Nashville Soccer Club Clinches Berth in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs for the Third Consecutive Season - Nashville SC
- LAFC Captures Supporters' Shield and Earns Top Seed & Home-Field Advantage in Audi 2022 MLS Cup Playoffs - MLS
- Facundo Torres Scores as Orlando City Drops 2-1 Decision to New York City FC - Orlando City SC
- Comeback Win Ices Home Field - New York City FC
- Chicago Fire FC to Celebrate 25th Anniversary, Close out 2022 Season against New England Revolution on Sunday - Chicago Fire FC
- Sounders FC Travels to Sporting Kansas City Sunday for Penultimate Match of 2022 MLS Regular Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride, and Wilf Family Make $500,000 Donation to Hurricane Ian Relief Efforts - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy Clinch 2022 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs Berth with 1-1 Draw Against Real Salt Lake at Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday Night - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Clinch 2022 MLS Cup Playoffs Berth - LA Galaxy
- Shea Salinas Scores Game-Winning Goal In Last Home Match Of 15-Year Career - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Earn Road Point, But Remain One Point out of Playoff Position - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps Keep Playoff Hopes Alive Heading Into Decision Day at Minnesota - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Austin FC Falls to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Austin FC
- MNUFC Lose to San Jose 2-0 - Minnesota United FC
- Daniel Ríos: "We Are Still Fighting, We Still Believe" - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- By the Numbers Powered by CDW: Nashville SC's 2022 Season
- FIFA World Cup Roundup: Tracking Walker Zimmerman and Shaq Moore in QatarÃÂ
- Nashville Soccer Club Trades International Spots to New York City FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces Roster Status Ahead of the 2023 Season
- GRAMMY Award-Winning Pop Artist PNK to Headline Concert at GEODIS Park in September 2023