Nashville SC Selects Defender Zarek Valentin No. 4 Overall in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft
PORTLAND, Ore. - Nashville SC today selected Portland Timbers defender Zarek Valentin with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft.
Valentin, 28, appeared in 107 matches (96 starts) and tallied seven assists across all competitions for the Timbers after joining the club at the beginning of the 2016 season in a trade with the Montreal Impact. In six MLS seasons, Valentin has made 132 appearances (120 starts), logging two goals and six assists.
"There was always a strong likelihood that we were always going to lose a player in the expansion draft given our depth and talent," said Gavin Wilkinson, general manager and president of soccer for the Timbers. "Zarek was an important player for the Timbers and one that will be tough to replace given his versatility, locker room presence and community involvement and we wish him, his wife Elizabeth and their son Cameron all the best."
A native of Lancaster, Pa., Valentin was a three-time winner of the club's Community MVP Award (2016, 2018, 2019). In 2018, Valentin logged a career-high 32 appearances (30 starts) for the Timbers, helping Portland claim the Western Conference Championship and a berth against Atlanta United FC in MLS Cup.
"Zarek has not only been a fantastic person to work with, but also an instrumental player for the club during the past four seasons," said Giovanni Savarese, head coach of the Timbers. "We wish Zarek and his family the best moving forward in the next step of his career."
Both Inter Miami CF and Nashville SC participated in the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft, each selecting up to five players to help build their respective rosters ahead of the 2020 MLS season. D.C. United, FC Dallas, the Houston Dynamo, New York Red Bulls, and Vancouver Whitecaps FC were exempt from the Expansion Draft, having had a player selected in the 2018 MLS Expansion Draft. All 19 remaining teams were allowed to protect 12 players from selection. Additionally, MLS Homegrown Players ages 25 and under (those born during or after 1994), as well as Generation adidas players that did not graduate from the program following the 2019 season were automatically protected, therefore clubs did not need to use one of their 12 selections to protect them.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 19, 2019
- Inter Miami CF Acquires Third-Overall Pick in 2020 MLS SuperDraft from FC CincinnatiÃ¢ÂÂ¯ - Inter Miami CF
- Alvas Powell Selected by Inter Miami CF in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - FC Cincinnati
- Inter Miami CF and Nashville SC Bolstered Rosters on Tuesday in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Nashville SC Adds Three Players in MLS Expansion Draft; Trades for Three More and Allocation Money - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Forward Brandon Vazquez in Trade with Nashville SC - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC Selects Fat Bottom Brewing Co. as Craft Beer Partner - Nashville SC
- Bryan Meredith Selected by Inter Miami CF in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire General Allocation Money in Trade with Inter Miami CF - FC Cincinnati
- Inter Miami CF's MLS Expansion Draft Selections Revealed - Inter Miami CF
- Brandon Vazquez Selected by Nashville SC in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Midfielder Luis Argudo Selected by Inter Miami CF in the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - Columbus Crew SC
- Houston Dynamo Acquire Zarek Valentin from Nashville SC - Houston Dynamo
- Abu Danladi Selected by Nashville SC in 2019 Expansion Draft - Minnesota United FC
- Montreal Impact Acquires Allocation Money, International Roster Spot from Nashville SC - Montreal Impact
- Sporting Acquires $175K in Allocation Money from Nashville - Sporting Kansas City
- Get to Know Luis Argudo: 2019 MLS Expansion Draft 4th Pick - Inter Miami CF
- Get to Know Bryan Meredith: 2019 MLS Expansion Draft 5th Pick - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Selects Defender Zarek Valentin No. 4 Overall in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - Portland Timbers
- Defender Jalil Anibaba Selected by Nashville SC in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - New England Revolution
- New York City FC Defender Ben Sweat Selected in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft by Inter Miami CF - New York City FC
- Get to Know Ben Sweat: 2019 MLS Expansion Draft 1st Pick - Inter Miami CF
- Get to Know Alvas Powell: 2019 MLS Expansion Draft 2nd Pick - Inter Miami CF
- Get to Know Lee Nguyen: 2019 MLS Expansion Draft 3rd Pick - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Announces 2019 Team Awards - Seattle Sounders FC
- Roster Roundup: a Look at Nashville SC's Current MLS Squad - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Sebastian Lletget to New Contract - LA Galaxy
- New England Revolution Re-Sign Defender Brandon Bye - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Defender Marco Farfan Called up by U.S. Men's National Team
- Timbers Fall to FC Dallas in First Round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs on Penalty Kicks
- Timbers Play Host to FC Dallas in Round One Audi MLS Cup Playoff Match at Providence Park
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Chara Named to 2020 MLS Best XI Presented by the Home Depot
- Topgolf Live Stadium Tour Comes to Providence Park in Fall of 2021