New England Revolution Re-Sign Defender Brandon Bye
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution have re-signed defender Brandon Bye. Bye will occupy a senior roster spot beginning in 2020, his third professional season with New England.
Bye, 23, joined the Revolution as the eighth-overall selection in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft and has since featured extensively at right back, with additional starts at center back, left back, and in the midfield. Through his first two professional campaigns, Bye has totaled 54 regular season appearances, 46 starts, three goals, and four assists across 4,127 minutes of action. He also made one start in the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs, a 90-minute outing at right back against Atlanta United FC, and has added three appearances with one assist in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup play.
In 2019, the second-year pro made 30 starts, including 90-minute performances in 21 of the final 22 regular season matches. He ranked second on the team in minutes played (2,657), trailing only Carles Gil, and finished second in clearances with 88. As a rookie in 2018, Bye started 16 of his 24 appearances, adding one goal and two assists, and ranked third among all SuperDraft picks in appearances and minutes played.
A native of Kalamazoo, Mich., Bye was a four-year standout at Western Michigan University and became the school's first MLS draftee. As a senior, the 2017 MAC Player of the Year and Hermann Trophy semifinalist captained the Broncos to their first MAC regular season championship, first NCAA Tournament win, and first top-five national ranking.
Off the pitch, Bye continues to work closely with the Aspiras Foundation, which he co-founded at Western Michigan. The organization uses soccer, education, and social inclusion to provide opportunities to younger generations in developing communities, specifically in the Dominican Republic.
TRANSACTION: New England Revolution re-sign defender Brandon Bye on Nov. 19, 2019.
#15 Brandon Bye
Hometown: Portage, Mich.
Date of Birth: Nov. 29, 1995 (Kalamazoo, Mich.)
Nationality: United States
College: Western Michigan University
Acquired: Selected in the first round (eighth overall) of the 2018 MLS SuperDraft; re-signed on Nov. 19, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 19, 2019
- Inter Miami CF Acquires Third-Overall Pick in 2020 MLS SuperDraft from FC CincinnatiÃ¢ÂÂ¯ - Inter Miami
- Alvas Powell Selected by Inter Miami CF in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - FC Cincinnati
- Inter Miami CF and Nashville SC Bolstered Rosters on Tuesday in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Nashville SC Adds Three Players in MLS Expansion Draft; Trades for Three More and Allocation Money - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Forward Brandon Vazquez in Trade with Nashville SC - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC Selects Fat Bottom Brewing Co. as Craft Beer Partner - Nashville SC
- Bryan Meredith Selected by Inter Miami CF in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Acquire General Allocation Money in Trade with Inter Miami CF - FC Cincinnati
- Inter Miami CF's MLS Expansion Draft Selections Revealed - Inter Miami
- Brandon Vazquez Selected by Nashville SC in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew SC Midfielder Luis Argudo Selected by Inter Miami CF in the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - Columbus Crew SC
- Houston Dynamo Acquire Zarek Valentin from Nashville SC - Houston Dynamo
- Abu Danladi Selected by Nashville SC in 2019 Expansion Draft - Minnesota United FC
- Montreal Impact Acquires Allocation Money, International Roster Spot from Nashville SC - Montreal Impact
- Sporting Acquires $175K in Allocation Money from Nashville - Sporting Kansas City
- Get to Know Luis Argudo: 2019 MLS Expansion Draft 4th Pick - Inter Miami
- Get to Know Bryan Meredith: 2019 MLS Expansion Draft 5th Pick - Inter Miami
- Nashville SC Selects Defender Zarek Valentin No. 4 Overall in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - Portland Timbers
- Defender Jalil Anibaba Selected by Nashville SC in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - New England Revolution
- New York City FC Defender Ben Sweat Selected in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft by Inter Miami CF - New York City FC
- Get to Know Ben Sweat: 2019 MLS Expansion Draft 1st Pick - Inter Miami
- Get to Know Alvas Powell: 2019 MLS Expansion Draft 2nd Pick - Inter Miami
- Get to Know Lee Nguyen: 2019 MLS Expansion Draft 3rd Pick - Inter Miami
- Sounders FC Announces 2019 Team Awards - Seattle Sounders FC
- Roster Roundup: a Look at Nashville SC's Current MLS Squad - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Sebastian Lletget to New Contract - LA Galaxy
- New England Revolution Re-Sign Defender Brandon Bye - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- New England Revolution Announce 2020 Opening Matches
- New England Revolution Sign Midfielder Kelyn Rowe
- Revolution Select Jeff Caldwell in MLS End-Of-Year Waiver Draft
- Revolution Sign Defender Michael Mancienne to New Contract
- New England Revolution Announce Year-End Roster Moves