Nailers Win Season Finale, 5-2
WHEELING, WV - The Wheeling Nailers wrapped up their 29th season with an exclamation point on Saturday night at WesBanco Arena. Cody Sylvester netted his team-leading 25th goal of the season as part of a five-goal attack by the home team, while Louis-Philip Guindon made 34 saves for a 5-2 triumph.
The first period featured lots of emotion, and it got started with a fight, as Tyler Drevitch dropped the gloves with Tim Shoup. Wheeling fed off that fire and got the first goal of the night at the 8:40 mark. Michael Prapavessis delivered a perfect feed to the right side of the crease, where Sean Josling reached out and connected with a redirection for the tally. With less than two minutes remaining, the Fuel knotted the score. Nic Pierog bounced the puck into the right side of the slot to Alex Rauter, who converted on the man advantage.
The Nailers power play was the key to success in the middle frame, as the home team cashed in twice to take a two-goal lead. On the go-ahead goal, Cody Sylvester swiped a pass across the slot to Tim Doherty, who stepped in and blazed a wrist shot into the cage from the right hash mark. The following strike came from a similar spot, but on that goal, it was Sylvester who lit the lamp, following a strong boards battle by Jesse Lees and a dish from Matt Alfaro.
Indy attempted to make things interesting in the third, as Tommy Apap pulled the visitors within one by spinning in a backhander from the slot. However, Wheeling wasn't going to be thrown off the rails on this night, and with 4:56 to go, Brendan Harris clobbered in a one-time feed from Doherty for some insurance. Patrick Watling put the finishing touches on the season, as his empty netter closed out the 5-2 Nailers victory.
Louis-Philip Guindon earned the win between the pipes for Wheeling, as he denied 34 of the 36 shots he faced. Sean Romeo took the loss for the Fuel, as he made 32 saves on 36 shots.
The Wheeling Nailers are thankful for all of the terrific support they received all season long. The 30th season of professional hockey is only a few months away, as the home opener is scheduled for Saturday, November 6th against the Fort Wayne Komets. Fans who are interested in season memberships can call the Nailers office for more information at (304) 234-GOAL. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley.
Images from this story
Wheeling Nailers gather after a goal
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 5, 2021
- Grizz Win 6-0 in Regular Season Finale, Will Face Allen in Playoffs - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Beat Thunder in Final Game of Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder to Face Komets in Western Conference Semifinals - Wichita Thunder
- Thunder Closes Regular Season with Loss in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Paterson Stones Rush with 33-Save Shutout - Rapid City Rush
- Repaci scores hat trick, but Solar Bears fall 4-3 in finale - Orlando Solar Bears
- Florida Claims Brabham Cup with Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Win Season Finale, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Nailers Best Fuel in Final Regular Season Game of the Year - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Salute Fans with 4-1 Victory - South Carolina Stingrays
- Florida Claims Brabham Cup as ECHL Regular-Season Champions - ECHL
- Blades Announce Schedule for First Round Home Games - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - June 5 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Fan Appreciation Night Highlights Regular Season Finale - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Stingrays vs. Icemen, June 5 at 6:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Need One Point for Brabham Cup - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Preview: First Place Americans, Host Last Place Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Komets Throttle Grizzlies on Friday Night - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.