Nailers Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players
WHEELING, WV - The Wheeling Nailers, proud ECHL affiliate of the Pittsburgh Penguins, have announced their list of players who received qualifying offers for the summer of 2021. Eight players were tendered qualifying offers for Wheeling.
Each team was entitled to reserve the rights to a maximum of eight qualified players. Of the eight qualified players, no more than four could be veterans (260 regular season professional hockey games played as of the start of the upcoming 2021-22 season). Players on open qualifying offers cannot be traded.
The qualifying offer must remain open for acceptance until August 9 at which time the qualifying offer becomes null and void and the team may sign the qualified player to any salary or may elect to take no further action. Teams that extend a valid qualifying offer to a non-veteran player shall retain the rights to that qualified player for one playing season.
A team that extends a valid qualifying offer to a veteran player, or to a goaltender who has played more than 180 regular-season games, will retain the rights to that player until August. After August 9, if the veteran player or goaltender is not signed to a contract by the team, the player shall be deemed a restricted free agent and shall be entitled to seek and secure offers of employment from other ECHL teams. Restricted free agents may not be traded. When a restricted free agent receives a contract offer from a team other than the team with the player's rights and the restricted free agent wishes to accept the contract offer, the restricted free agent and the offering member must, within 24 hours, notify the ECHL, the team with the player's rights and the Professional Hockey Players' Association. The member with the player's rights shall have seven days after the date it is notified to exercise its right to match the contract offer.
If a restricted free agent is not signed to either an offer sheet or a contract by an ECHL team by August 16, the player shall be deemed an unrestricted free agent.
The eight qualified players for the Wheeling Nailers are:
F Jake Coughler
F Brendan Harris
F Tad Kozun
D Dylan MacPherson
D Patrick McNally
D Adam Smith
D Matthew Spencer
D Aaron Thow
If a player has already signed a contract for 2021-22, that player does not need to be tendered a qualifying offer.
The Nailers are anticipating announcing their first player signing of the summer later this week.
The Wheeling Nailers are just a few months away from beginning their 30th season. The puck drops in Fort Wayne on October 23rd, before the Nailers play their home opener against the Komets on Saturday, November 6th at 7:10. Season memberships are available, and fans can get more information by calling (304) 234-GOAL. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley.
Images from this story
Wheeling Nailers exchange congratulations
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 26, 2021
- Americans Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Allen Americans
- Everblades Agree to Terms with Forward Levko Koper - Florida Everblades
- Forward Tommy Apap Re-Ups with the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Tulsa Oilers
- Royals Extend Qualifying Offers to Mackin, Four Others - Reading Royals
- Kelly Cup Champs Sign Five - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Announce Qualifying Offers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Steelheads Extend Qualifying Offers to Four Players - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Announces Players with Qualifying Offers - ECHL
- Icemen Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Jacksonville Icemen
- Grizzlies Extend Qualifying Offer to Eight Players - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Extend Qualifying Offers for 2021-22 Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- Alex Tonge Returns to Norfolk for 2021-22 Season - Norfolk Admirals
- K-Wings Extend Qualifying Offers to Four Players - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers Extend Qualifying Offers to Eight Players - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Tender 8 Qualifying Offers - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Announces Eight Qualifying Offers - Wichita Thunder
- Walleye Announce Qualifying Offers for Eight Players - Toledo Walleye
- Adirondack Extends Qualifying Offers to Six Players - Adirondack Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.