Mulvey, Allen Lead Aces Past Beavers, 5-2
Kevin Mulvey pitched 7 1/3 impressive innings and Brandon Allen went 2-for-3 with a two-run home run as the Reno Aces beat the Portland Beavers 5-2 Wednesday night at PGE Park.
Mulvey (5-6) struck out seven while only giving up two runs on four hits in his longest outing of the season.
Carlos Corporan tallied two hits and one RBI as the Aces (40-58) finished with 10 hits.
Cedric Hunter had the Beavers (37-60) only RBI as Portland failed to reach double-digit hits for only the fourth time in the past 10 games.
Josh Geer (7-8) gave up five runs (4 earned) on eight hits while striking out five in seven innings.
After tripling to the gap in right-center, Mark Hallberg scored on a sacrifice fly by Doug Deeds to give the Aces a 1-0 lead in the third inning.
Corporan doubled home Allen in the fourth and a three-run sixth inning for the Aces was highlighted by Allen's two-run home run off of the right-field foul pole to give Reno a 5-0 lead.
Dusty Ryan and Craig Stansberry each scored as part of a two-run eighth inning for the Beavers.
The Beavers and Aces meet again Thursday at 7:05 p.m. in the finale of their four-game set at PGE Park.
NOTES: Ryan finished with one walk and has now walked 24 times in 24 games ... the Beavers still have been shut out the fewest times this season after scoring two runs in the bottom of the eighth.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 21, 2010
- Mulvey, Allen Lead Aces Past Beavers, 5-2 - Portland Beavers
- River Cats Drop Sky Sox 8-1; 8,671 Fans See Tulowitzki Go 1-For-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Mulvey Shines in 5-2 Aces Victory - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Rally Past New Orleans 11-8 - Round Rock Express
- Round Rock Rallies for the Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Rally by Royals - Memphis Redbirds
- Cubs Cruise Past RedHawks 8-5 - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Beat Sounds, 14-5 - Nashville Sounds
- 7th Annual "Tip a 51" Luncheon Rescheduled to Friday, August 27 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Astros Claim Hernandez, Figueroa off Waivers; Make Three Other Moves - Round Rock Express
- Grizzlies Declare July 22nd Rule 8.06 Night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Tacoma Rainiers Are Painting the Park Purple - Tacoma Rainiers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Salt Lake Bees to Host 'Bike to the Bees' - Salt Lake Bees
- 1970 Championship Team Dinner August 20 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- River Cats Win Rain-Shortened Game, 11-7 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Drop Pitchers Duel In Portland - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss