Mudbugs Hold on for 3-2 Win Over Jacks
ODESSA, TX - Justin Aikins goal with 3:34 remaining in the third period proved to be the game-winner as the Odessa Jackalopes lost to the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs on Friday night by a 3-2 final at the CenturyTel Center. With the win, the Mudbugs lock up the second seed in the Berry Conference for the Central Hockey League's postseason. Despite the loss, Odessa's magic number to clinch the fifth seed sits at one point.
Mississippi must win their remaining two games, combined with Odessa losing their final contest in regulation in order to pass the Jackalopes.
Aikins winner came on a rebound in front of the Odessa net.
After a scoreless first period, Bossier jumped out to a 2-0 lead after Shawn Limpright and Brett Smith each scored in the opening five minutes of period two. The Jackalopes answered back in the period's final six minutes as Alex Dunn buried a wrist shot from the left circle, and Jeff Pierce connected on a one-timer between the top of the circles.
Mike Mole took just his second loss since joining Odessa with 20 saves. Ryan Munce for the Bugs stopped 27 in the win.
Sebastien Thinel picked up an assist in the game to raise his league-leading point total to 109. Todd Robinson also added a helper to extend his point streak to 16 games.
The Jacks and Bugs close out the regular season on Saturday, by wrapping up their home-and-home series at the Ector County Coliseum. Game time is set for 7:05 PM CST. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
Follow the Jackalopes all year long on Facebook and Twitter -- Twitter.com/ODEJackalopes.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 25, 2011
- 'Bugs Top Jacks to Clinch Second Place - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mavericks Crush Killer Bees, 10-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Texas Closes Final Regular Season Home Game in Comeback Victory - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mudbugs Hold on for 3-2 Win Over Jacks - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Suffer Déjà vu' in Loss at Brahmas - Laredo Bucks
- PrairieThunder Get Home Ice Following 4-3 Overtime Win Against Evansville - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Eagles One Win Away From Turner Conference Title - Colorado Eagles
- Missouri Rallies to Beat Killer Bees - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- RiverKings Fall in Home Finale To Allen - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans Sail Past Riverkings, 3-1 - Allen Americans
- Oilers Beat Thunder, Wichita Will be Fifth Seed - Wichita Thunder
- Dayton Holds Off Mallards 3-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Gems capture 3-2 win over Mallards - Dayton Gems
- Joel Martin Returns to Jackalopes - Odessa Jackalopes
- Mavericks' Robby Nolan Named CHL's Most Outstanding Goaltender - Kansas City Mavericks
- Robby Nolan Named Most Outstanding Goaltender - CHL
- Sundogs Activate Groenestege, Place Szuper on Injured Reserve - Arizona Sundogs
- Andrew Martens Named CHL Most Outstanding Defenseman - Wichita Thunder
- Andrew Martens Named Most Outstanding Defenseman - CHL
- Playoff Dates Announced - Tulsa Oilers
- Shots from the Point for March 25, 2011 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.