MNUFC Signs Midfielder Lawrence Olum
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United today announced it has signed defensive midfielder Lawrence Olum. The Kenyan international arrives following two years with the Portland Timbers and is sure to bring a veteran presence to the Loon's backline and midfield with six years of postseason experience.
"It's a nice story to have another player that's worked with Adrian for many years, as well as played in this market for us years ago," said MNUFC Sporting Director Manny Lagos. "He adds a lot of good depth and a veteran leadership to the middle of the field."
Olum, 34, started his professional career with Portland Timbers while they were still in the USL in 2007. He went on to play with the Minnesota Thunder, Austin Aztex and Orlando City, all at the USL level, before joining Sporting Kansas City in MLS in September of 2011. In Kansas City, Olum played 5,245 minutes over 86 games, making two postseason appearances and playing alongside current Loon Ike Opara. He was then traded to Portland Timbers FC ahead of the 2017 season. During his time in Portland, Olum started 40 of 52 games played, across 3,735 minutes. He was also a part of the Timbers postseason runs in both 2017 and 2018, playing six games and 270 minutes.
On the international side, Olum has made four appearances with the Kenyan National Team. He was called up in November of 2012 for the 2012 CECAFA Cup and made his international debut in a 1-0 victory over Comoros in May 2014.
Download the new MNUFC Mobile App and get Minnesota United in the palm of your hand. Stay on top of news, updates, stats, roster information and league standings, plus access and manage your digital tickets beginning in late February. Available for iPhone and Android devices. Get the app at mnufc.com/app.
Transaction: Minnesota United acquires Lawrence Olum.
Date of birth: July 10, 1984
Birthplace: Nairobi, Kenya
Hometown: Nairobi, Kenya
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 15, 2019
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 1-0 to Louisville City - Atlanta United FC
- Fans Can Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with the Dynamo & Tullamore D.E.W. Saturday - Houston Dynamo
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Impact Visits Orlando City SC Saturday Afternoon - Montreal Impact
- Minnesota United Announces Grand Opening of Black & Blue Team Store and Brew Hall at Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- Preview: Sporting Visits Colorado in St. Patrick's Day Clash - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts FC Dallas at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Toronto FC - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake FW Sam Johnson Called to Liberian National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City SC Loans Mason Stajduhar to USL's Tulsa Roughnecks - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- Mattocks, Powell Called up to Jamaica for International Matches - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas vs Columbus Crew SC - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew SC Sends Defender Alex Crognale on Loan - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. LA Galaxy Game Preview - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC Announces Official Bar Partners for the 2019 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City Returns Home to Face Montreal - Orlando City SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Chicago Fire - March 16, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Host Red Assembly Ahead of MLS Home Opener on Sunday Evening - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Visits D.C. United in First Trip to Audi Field - Real Salt Lake
- MNUFC Signs Midfielder Lawrence Olum - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting into Champions League Semis with 3-0 Win - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.