ATL UTD 2 Falls 1-0 to Louisville City
KENNESAW, Ga. - Atlanta United 2 lost 1-0 to reigning USL Champions Louisville City Friday night at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. Laurence Wyke made his professional debut while Gordon Wild made his first appearance for the team.
"I thought it was a really good team performance tonight," ATL UTD 2 head coach Stephen Glass said. "We are playing against a really good team that's being managed by a top coach. They have a real good group of players, so it was an impressive performance from a lot of our players, as a team and individually."
Atlanta put pressure on Louisville from the outset and tested goalkeeper Benjamin Lundt who made his professional debut. In the 14th minute, Anderson Asiedu delivered a pass to Dion Pereira who settled it with a backheel and quickly played Luiz Fernando into the penalty area on the left side. The Brazilian ripped a left-footed shot towards the back post but pushed it just wide.
In his first appearance with ATL UTD 2 this season, goalkeeper Alec Kann was named Man of the Match after two crucial saves towards the end of the first half. The first came in the 37th minute after a looping ball fell behind Atlanta's backline and Luke Spencer was one-on-one with Kann. Spencer shuffled to his left before taking a left-footed shot, but Kann got a touch to it which allowed an Atlanta defender to regain possession. Later in the 43rd minute it was Spencer again who ripped a high shot that Kann parried away before Jack Metcalf was able to clear the ball.
ATL UTD 2 had a pair of chances to take the lead midway through the second half. In the 66th minute, Asiedu spun away from a defender in the defensive third and dribbled to midfield before playing Fernando down the left side. Fernando danced by a defender into the 18-yard box and skipped a pass to Pereira who one-timed a shot with his left foot, but Lundt was there to deny. Three minutes later, Lundt made a diving save on a curling shot form Andrew Carleton that was aimed at the top-right corner.
Louisville scored the game's lone goal in the 72nd minute. Brian Ownby sent in a cross from the left side where Abdou Thiam finished with a header at the near post.
ATL UTD 2 (1-1-0, 3 points) returns to action Saturday, March 23 at Charlotte Independence at 7:00 p.m. EST at the Sportsplex at Matthews. The match will be streamed live on ESPN+.
Atlanta 0, Louisville 1
Fifth Third Bank Stadium
Shots: 12-7 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 3-2 Louisville
Corner kicks: 8-3 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 14-12 Louisville
Saves: 2-2 Tied
Offside: 2-1 Louisville
Possession: 58-42 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 79-70 Atlanta
LOU - Abdou Thiam 72' (Brian Ownby)
ATL - Jack Metcalf (yellow) 5'
ATL - Anderson Asiedu (yellow) 62'
ATLANTA UNITED 2 STARTING LINEUP
Alec Kann; Gordon Wild (Guillermo Benitez - 66'), George Campbell, Laurence Wyke, Jon Gallagher; Jack Metcalf, Anderson Asiedu; Luiz Fernando, Andrew Carleton (Will Vint - 77'), Dion Pereira; Jackson Conway (Patrick Okonkwo - 77').
Substitutes not used: Dylan Castanheira, Alessandro Castro, Jose Hernandez, Kevin Barajas
LOUISVILLE CITY FC STARTING LINEUP
Ben Lundt; Shaun Francis, Alexis Souahy, Paco Craig, Oscar Jimenez; Paolo DelPiccolo, Devon Williams, Sunny Jane (George Davis IV - 45'), Niall McCabe; Brian Ownby (Sean Totsch - 82'), Luke Spencer (Abdou Thiam - 63').
Substitutes not used: Tim Dobrowolski, Taylor Peay, Magnus Rasmussen, Lucky Mkosana.
Elton Garcia (referee), Zach McWhorter (assistant), Richonne Clark (assistant), Brandon Adams (fourth).
Laurence Wyke made his professional debut
Gordon Wild and Patrick Okonkwo made his ATL UTD 2 debut
Luiz Fernando, Andrew Carleton and Alec Kann each made their first starts of the season
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 15, 2019
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 1-0 to Louisville City - Atlanta United FC
- Fans Can Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with the Dynamo & Tullamore D.E.W. Saturday - Houston Dynamo
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Impact Visits Orlando City SC Saturday Afternoon - Montreal Impact
- Minnesota United Announces Grand Opening of Black & Blue Team Store and Brew Hall at Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- Preview: Sporting Visits Colorado in St. Patrick's Day Clash - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts FC Dallas at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Toronto FC - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake FW Sam Johnson Called to Liberian National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City SC Loans Mason Stajduhar to USL's Tulsa Roughnecks - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- Mattocks, Powell Called up to Jamaica for International Matches - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas vs Columbus Crew SC - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew SC Sends Defender Alex Crognale on Loan - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. LA Galaxy Game Preview - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC Announces Official Bar Partners for the 2019 Season - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City Returns Home to Face Montreal - Orlando City SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Chicago Fire - March 16, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Host Red Assembly Ahead of MLS Home Opener on Sunday Evening - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Visits D.C. United in First Trip to Audi Field - Real Salt Lake
- MNUFC Signs Midfielder Lawrence Olum - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting into Champions League Semis with 3-0 Win - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Ezequiel Barco Voted MLS Player of the Week
- Barco Brace Carries Atlanta United Past New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution
- Atlanta United, Major League Soccer Celebrate Earth Day with Fourth Annual Greener Goals Week of Service
- Mikey Ambrose to Miss 3-5 Weeks with Meniscus Injury