Mississippi RiverKings Squeaks by Huntsville, 4-2
The game between Mississippi RiverKings and the Huntsville Havoc was tight through all 60 minutes, but in the end Mississippi RiverKings emerged with a 4-2 win.
Mississippi RiverKings gained the winning advantage on a goal by Matt Whitehead 16:43 into the second period and hung on until final buzzer.
After the loss made the series score 1-0 in the best of three series, Huntsville faces elimination next time out.
Mississippi RiverKings got the win thanks to a great game by Devin Mantha, who had two goals and one assist. Mantha scored the first of his two goals at 16:34 into the third period to make the score 3-1 Mississippi RiverKings. Daniel Sobotka provided the assist. Mantha's next tally made the score 4-2 Mississippi RiverKings with 13 seconds left in the third period.
Mississippi RiverKings stifled the Havoc's power play, and did not give up a single goal while down a man. Mississippi RiverKings forced Huntsville goalie Kevin Genoe to work between the pipes, taking 32 shots.
Mississippi RiverKings also got a goal from Matt Harrington as well. In addition, Mississippi RiverKings received assists from Mike Grace and Todd Hosmer, who each chipped in one.
The Havoc's offense rang up 33 shots on Mississippi RiverKings' net.
Huntsville was helped by Josh Harris, who tallied one goal. Harris scored 7:59 into the second period to make the score 1-1. Eric Alexander assisted on the tally. Huntsville additionally got points from Nick Lazorko, who also had one goal and one assist. More assists for Huntsville came via Leland Fidler, who had one.
Dan McWhinney made 31 saves for Mississippi RiverKings on 33 shots. Mississippi RiverKings totaled 15 minutes in penalty time with five minors and one major and went 0-for-1 on the power play. Genoe recorded 28 saves for the Havoc. Huntsville totaled seven minutes in penalty time with one minor and one major and went 0-for-5 on the power play.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 27, 2014
- Mississippi RiverKings Squeaks by Huntsville, 4-2 - Huntsville Havoc
- Ice Flyers Dominate Game, Down Surge 5-1 - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Hosmer and Randazzo Named First Team SPHL - Mississippi RiverKings
- Surge, Ice Flyers Kick-Off Round 1 Tonight in Pensacola - Mississippi Surge
- Fans Can Vote for 2013-14 Ice Flyers Fan Favorite - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- SPHL Announces First Team Selections - SPHL
- All-SPHL Second Team Announced - SPHL
- Peoria Hangs On, Beats Columbus 2-0 - Columbus Cottonmouths
- Rank, Vermeersch Lead Rivermen to Victory in Game 1 - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.