SPHL Announces First Team Selections
March 27, 2014 - Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) News Release
HUNTERSVILLE, NC - The Southern Professional Hockey League on Thursday announced its 2013-2014 All-SPHL First Team as selected in a vote of league coaches, general managers and media representatives.
F - Shawn McNeil, Louisiana IceGators
F - Todd Hosmer, Mississippi RiverKings
F - Joe Caveney, Pensacola Ice Flyers D - Stuart Stefan, Huntsville Havoc
D - Andrew Randazzo, Missisisppi RiverKings
G - Kyle Rank, Peoria Rivermen
Shawn McNeil of the Louisiana IceGators led all players in points (67) and assists (49) and tied SPHL season-highs with an 18-game point streak and an eight-game assist streak.
Todd Hosmer of the Mississippi RiverKings led the SPHL in goals (37), power-play goals (13) and shorthanded goals (5) and finished fourth in points (55) despite only playing 40 games due to a six-week call-up to Greenville of the ECHL.
Joe Caveney of the Pensacola Ice Flyers also finished second in the SPHL with 57 points, was fourth in goals (26) and fifth in assists (31) despite only playing 39 games due to a pair of call-ups to the ECHL.
Stuart Stefan of the Huntsville Havoc led all SPHL defensemen with 43 points and 18 goals, and was second among blue-liners with a +21 rating and three game-winning goals.
Andrew Randazzo of the Mississippi RiverKings led the SPHL with 18 power-play assists. Randazzo was also third in assists (30) and fourth in points (34) among defensemen.
Kyle Rank of the Peoria Rivermen set a new SPHL single-season record with eight shutouts, while his 1.89 goals against average and .938 save percentage led all goaltenders and were both the second-best marks in league history. Rank's 19 wins were also third-most among goaltenders.
The SPHL will announce its Defenseman of the Year on Friday.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 27, 2014
- Mississippi RiverKings Squeaks by Huntsville, 4-2 - Huntsville Havoc
- Ice Flyers Dominate Game, Down Surge 5-1 - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Hosmer and Randazzo Named First Team SPHL - Mississippi RiverKings
- Surge, Ice Flyers Kick-Off Round 1 Tonight in Pensacola - Mississippi Surge
- Fans Can Vote for 2013-14 Ice Flyers Fan Favorite - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- SPHL Announces First Team Selections - SPHL
- All-SPHL Second Team Announced - SPHL
- Peoria Hangs On, Beats Columbus 2-0 - Columbus Cottonmouths
- Rank, Vermeersch Lead Rivermen to Victory in Game 1 - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.