All-SPHL Second Team Announced
March 27, 2014 - Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) News Release
HUNTERSVILLE, NC - The Southern Professional Hockey League on Thursday announced its 2013-2014 All-SPHL Second Team as selected in a vote of league coaches, general managers and media representatives.
F - Garrett Vermeersch, Peoria Rivermen
F - Matt Gingera, Columbus Cottonmouths
F - Nick Lazorko, Huntsville Havoc
D - Kirk Byczynski, Louisiana IceGators
D - Leland Fidler, Huntsville Havoc
G - Ross MacKinnon, Pensacola Ice Flyers
Garrett Vermeersch of the Peoria Rivermen finished second among all SPHL players in points (57), third in goals (27), game-winning goals (six) and power-play assists (14) and fourth in power-play goals (nine).
Matt Gingera of the Columbus Cottonmouths was second in the SPHL with 32 goals, third in power-play goals (10) and fourth in points (55). Gingera became just the fourth player in SPHL history to score five goals in one game, matching the record against the Mississippi Surge on February 28.
Nick Lazorko of the Huntsville Havoc scored 32 goals, seven of which were game-winners. both second-most in the SPHL. Lazorko also led the SPHL with 265 shots, was third with a +25 rating and finished sixth in points (49).
Kirk Byczynski of the Louisiana IceGators led all defensemen with seven power-play goals and was third in the SPHL with 14 power-play assists, while his 32 points were fifth-best among blueliners.
Leland Fidler of the Huntsville Havoc was third among SPHL defensemen with a +16 rating and fifth in points from the blue line with 32. Fidler also ranked second among defensemen with 156 shots.
Ross MacKinnon of the Pensacola Ice Flyers, who lost his only game in regulation on December 8, finished the regular season tied for the league-lead with 22 wins (22-1-3 overall) and ranked second with a 2.02 goals against average and .929 save percentage.
The All-SPHL First Team will be announced later today.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 27, 2014
- Mississippi RiverKings Squeaks by Huntsville, 4-2 - Huntsville Havoc
- Ice Flyers Dominate Game, Down Surge 5-1 - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Hosmer and Randazzo Named First Team SPHL - Mississippi RiverKings
- Surge, Ice Flyers Kick-Off Round 1 Tonight in Pensacola - Mississippi Surge
- Fans Can Vote for 2013-14 Ice Flyers Fan Favorite - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- SPHL Announces First Team Selections - SPHL
- All-SPHL Second Team Announced - SPHL
- Peoria Hangs On, Beats Columbus 2-0 - Columbus Cottonmouths
- Rank, Vermeersch Lead Rivermen to Victory in Game 1 - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.