Ice Flyers Dominate Game, Down Surge 5-1
PENSACOLA, FL. (March 27, 2014) - The Pensacola Ice Flyers opened their opening round series against the rivals the Mississippi Surge with a resounding 5-1 win following a dominating performance. The effort was led by a two-goal game from team captain Ryan Salvis.
Joe Caveney got the scoring started for the Ice Flyers when he roofed one down off of the cross bar 3:19 into the first. Mitchell Good and Brett Lutes had the assists. Corey Banfield made it 2-0 just 14 seconds later when he put home a long pass from Tyler Amburgey. Amburgey had the only assist on the goal. The Surge got onto the board just after a Mississippi power play expired when Kyle Kudroch scored with 3:10 left in the frame. Birthday boy Salvis gave the Ice Flyers another two-goal lead a little over a minute later when he tipped in a great pass from John Dunbar. Adam Pawlick had the other assist on the goal.
The second period was scoreless despite the Ice Flyers outshooting the Surge 15-2. Pensacola took the 4-1 lead when Salvis ripped a shot that tipped in off of the glove of Mississippi goalie Mathieu Dugas. Jeremy Gates picked up the assist on the goal that came 3:39 into the third.
The Ice Flyers continued to control the game for the reminder of the game and even stretched their lead to 5-1 when Brett Lutes beat Dugas with 3:48 remaining in regulation. Caveney and Amburgey had the assists on the final goal of the game. Pensacola outshot the Surge 17-4 during the third and 50-16 for the entire game.
Ross MacKinnon stopped 15 of the Surge's 16 shots. Caveney was named the third star, Banfield second, and Salvis was first with 2 goals on his 30th birthday.
The Ice Flyers travel to Biloxi on Saturday, Mar. 29 for game two of their opening round series against the Mississippi Surge. The game is scheduled for a 7:05 p.m. puck drop in the Mississippi Coast Coliseum.
For season ticket information, group ticket information and any other information pertaining to the Pensacola Ice Flyers, visit www.PensacolaIceFlyers.com or call (850) 466-3111. You can also stay informed on Ice Flyers' news through www.Facebook.com/PcolaIceFlyers or @PcolaIceFlyers.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 27, 2014
- Mississippi RiverKings Squeaks by Huntsville, 4-2 - Huntsville Havoc
- Ice Flyers Dominate Game, Down Surge 5-1 - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Hosmer and Randazzo Named First Team SPHL - Mississippi RiverKings
- Surge, Ice Flyers Kick-Off Round 1 Tonight in Pensacola - Mississippi Surge
- Fans Can Vote for 2013-14 Ice Flyers Fan Favorite - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- SPHL Announces First Team Selections - SPHL
- All-SPHL Second Team Announced - SPHL
- Peoria Hangs On, Beats Columbus 2-0 - Columbus Cottonmouths
- Rank, Vermeersch Lead Rivermen to Victory in Game 1 - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Ice Flyers Stories
- Leading Scorer Milan Signs Back with the Ice Flyers
- Ice Flyers Owner Greg Harris Laments Tough Decision by SPHL to Delay Start of Season
- Ice Flyers to Have New Video Boards, Sign Long-Term Lease
- D'Andrea Signs with Ice Flyers for Third Season
- Maverick Visits the Pensacola Area