Peoria Hangs On, Beats Columbus 2-0
The Peoria Rivermen beat the Columbus Cottonmouths, 2-0, in a contest where the winning goal was scored in the first period but the game remained close throughout.
A goal 19:12 into the first period by Garrett Vermeersch proved to be the game winner, and powered Peoria to the victory. A high sticking penalty on Tom Maldonado had put the Rivermen on the power play. Parker Stanfield picked up the assist.
After the loss made the series score 1-0 in the best of three series, Columbus faces elimination next time out.
Vermeersch was all over the ice for Peoria, as he racked up two goals in the win.
The Rivermen were boosted by Kyle Rank, who turned in a shutout with 35 saves.
Peoria put up an impenetrable defensive front on the penalty kill, and did not allow the Cottonmouths to score on any of their four power plays. The Rivermen relied on a core group of players for most of their offense, as Vermeersch, Taylor Larsen and Ben Oskroba took 15 of the team's 26 shots.
In addition, Peoria received assists from Nick Prockow and Joe Schiller, who each chipped in one.
Columbus' offense rang up 35 shots on Peoria's net.
The Cottonmouths were led by Jordan Draper, who took six shots.
The Rivermen incurred 12 minutes in penalty time with six minors. Columbus' Andrew Loewen stopped 24 shots out of the 26 that he faced. The Cottonmouths incurred 10 minutes in penalty time with five minors.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 27, 2014
- Mississippi RiverKings Squeaks by Huntsville, 4-2 - Huntsville Havoc
- Ice Flyers Dominate Game, Down Surge 5-1 - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Hosmer and Randazzo Named First Team SPHL - Mississippi RiverKings
- Surge, Ice Flyers Kick-Off Round 1 Tonight in Pensacola - Mississippi Surge
- Fans Can Vote for 2013-14 Ice Flyers Fan Favorite - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- SPHL Announces First Team Selections - SPHL
- All-SPHL Second Team Announced - SPHL
- Peoria Hangs On, Beats Columbus 2-0 - Columbus Cottonmouths
- Rank, Vermeersch Lead Rivermen to Victory in Game 1 - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.