Mills, Arencibia Help 51s Beat Beavers 10-1
Brad Mills took a perfect game into the sixth inning and J.P. Arencibia hit his league-leading 22nd home run as the Las Vegas 51s beat the Portland Beavers 10-1 Tuesday night at PGE Park.
Mills (5-4) had his perfect game broken up the sixth inning on a bloop single by Lance Zawadzki. He finished giving up one run on two hits in six innings.
Arencibia, Aaron Mathews and Raul Chavez each finished with two RBIs as the 51s (40-46) scored double-digit runs for the 13th time this season.
Zawadzki scored from second on an RBI single by Luis Durango in the sixth inning to cut the 51s lead to 4-1 before Las Vegas pulled away.
Cesar Carrillo (4-8) struck out four in six innings, while giving up four runs on six hits and three walks in the loss.
Arencibia hit a two-run home run deep over the left-field wall to give the 51s a 2-0 lead in the third inning.
Las Vegas took a 4-0 lead in the fourth as Mathews and Jarrett Hoffpauir each tallied an RBI.
The 51s opened the seventh inning with four walks, followed by four consecutive hits as part of a six-run inning.
The Beavers and 51s will meet again Wednesday at 1:05 p.m. (Pacific) for the finale of a four-game series at PGE Park.
NOTES: After allowing only eight walks for the Beavers this season, Aaron Poreda gave up three walks in 1/3 of an inning ... Craig Stansberry tied the Beavers franchise record by playing in his 390th game with the team ... infielder Anthony Contreras made his third appearance on the mound this season for the Beavers... Zawadzki and manager Terry Kennedy were ejected in the seventh inning.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 7, 2010
- Round Rock Express Top Memphis 7-2, Salvage Series Split - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Shuts Down Albuquerque - Iowa Cubs
- Rainiers Host NFL Star Jonathan Stewart - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats Top Aces, 10-7 - Reno Aces
- Baxter, Contreras Ignite Beavers Offense in 6-3 Win - Portland Beavers
- Gibbons to Take Part in Triple-A HR Derby - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Astros Announce Minor League Players of the Month for June - Round Rock Express
- Triple-A Hr Derby Participants Announced - PCL
- 18th Annual "Used Car Giveaway Night" Set for Saturday, July 10th - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Z's Lose 2-1 in 10 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Angels Assign Figueroa to Salt Lake, Sutton Activated - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Pitcher Banks Added to Triple-A All-Star Game - Round Rock Express
- Aces Drop Slugfest, 14-13, To Rivercats - Reno Aces
- Mills, Arencibia Help 51s Beat Beavers 10-1 - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss