Baxter, Contreras Ignite Beavers Offense in 6-3 Win
PORTLAND, Ore. - Mike Baxter hit a two-run home run to tie the game in the sixth inning and Anthony Contreras hit a two-run, inside-the-park home run in the seventh to lead the Portland Beavers to a 6-3 win in the series finale against the Las Vegas 51s Wednesday afternoon at PGE Park.
Lance Zawadzki and Cedric Hunter finished with two hits each and set the table for Baxter's and Contreras' two-run homers.
Josh Geer (6-7) pitched seven innings, giving up three runs on five hits in recording his fifth win in his last six starts for the Beavers (33-53).
Beavers All-star Ernesto Frieri shut down the 51s in the ninth inning to earn his league-leading 17th save of the season.
Brian Dopirak hit his 10th home run of the season as the 51s (40-47) managed to score in only one inning.
Las Vegas starter Robert Ray gave up two runs on four hits in 5 2/3 innings before Zach Jackson (2-3) gave up four runs in 2/3 of an inning to take the loss.
Zawadzki scored on a wild pitch moments after stealing his fifth base of the season to give the Beavers a 1-0 lead in the third inning.
The 51s tallied three runs in the fifth inning, highlighted by Dopirak's home run.
Baxter hit the first pitch of the game by Zach Jackson into the visitor's bullpen behind the right-field fence for a two-run home run to tie the game at 3-3 in the seventh inning.
Contreras highlighted a three-run seventh inning with the second inside-the-park home run of the season for the Beavers. With Zawadzki on second base, Contreras made it all the way around the bases after hitting a ball over center fielder Danny Perales' head.
The Beavers and Sacramento River Cats will meet Thursday at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific) for the opener of a four-game series at Raley Field.
NOTES: Beavers reliever Adam Russell pitched in his 200th minor league game ... the Beavers are 12-0 at home this season when leading after seven innings ... Contreras' inside-the-park home run was only the sixth in franchise history ... Nashville reliever Chris Smith also has 17 saves on the season.
Beavers Game File WEDNESDAY'S GAME: Beavers 6, Las Vegas 3 WINNING PITCHER: Geer (6-7) LOSING PITCHER: Jackson (2-3) SAVE: Frieri (17) HOME RUNS: Baxter (9), Contreras (3), Dopirak (10) THURSDAY'S GAME: Portland (Steve Garrison: 1-2, 7.47) at Sacramento (Clayton Mortensen: 10-2, 3.52), 7:05 p.m. (Pacific), live audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 7, 2010
- Round Rock Express Top Memphis 7-2, Salvage Series Split - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Shuts Down Albuquerque - Iowa Cubs
- Rainiers Host NFL Star Jonathan Stewart - Tacoma Rainiers
- River Cats Top Aces, 10-7 - Reno Aces
- Baxter, Contreras Ignite Beavers Offense in 6-3 Win - Portland Beavers
- Gibbons to Take Part in Triple-A HR Derby - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Astros Announce Minor League Players of the Month for June - Round Rock Express
- Triple-A Hr Derby Participants Announced - PCL
- 18th Annual "Used Car Giveaway Night" Set for Saturday, July 10th - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Z's Lose 2-1 in 10 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Angels Assign Figueroa to Salt Lake, Sutton Activated - Salt Lake Bees
- Express Pitcher Banks Added to Triple-A All-Star Game - Round Rock Express
- Aces Drop Slugfest, 14-13, To Rivercats - Reno Aces
- Mills, Arencibia Help 51s Beat Beavers 10-1 - Portland Beavers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss