MetroStars Sign Defender Leo Krupnik as a Discovery Player
SECAUCUS, NJ (AUGUST 15) - The MetroStars today announced they have signed former Des Moines Menace (PDL) defender Leo Krupnik as a Discovery Player for the remainder of the 2002 MLS season.
Krupnik, 6-2 and 180 pounds, was drafted out of the University of California-Berkeley earlier this year by the MetroStars in the 2002 MLS SuperDraft in the sixth round (68th overall). He joined the MetroStars briefly for preseason training in Bradenton, Florida, but was unable to fully train with the team due to a bronchial illness.
The 23-year old Ukraine native, who holds U.S. citizenship, played the majority of this season for the Des Moines Menace of the Premier Development League after a stint with the Minnesota Thunder of the A-League.
He logged 1,564 minutes on the back line this year for Des Moines, which finished 15-0-3 in the regular season as the only undefeated PDL team before being upset in the opening round of the playoffs.
Krupnik, who grew up in San Francisco, was named first team All-Pac-10 at Cal in 2000, his junior season. He spent three years as a starting defender for the Golden Bears, appearing in 54 games. In 2001, he started eighteen games on defense and was 3-for-3 on penalty kicks, including two game-winners.
The addition of Krupnik brings the team roster to the maximum of 22 players (includes the four allowed Developmental roster spots).
He will be in uniform (jersey number TBD) this upcoming Saturday night, August 17, at 7:30 p.m. ET when the MetroStars host the Dallas Burn at Giants Stadium on NASL Reunion Night.
Tickets are available at all regional Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster.com, MetroStars.com, the Continental Airlines Arena box office, or by calling the MetroStars toll free at 1-888-4-METROTIX.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 15, 2002
- United Midfielder Richie Williams Fined - MLS
- Crew Announce Golf, Karaoke Details - Columbus Crew SC
- MetroStars Sign Defender Leo Krupnik as a Discovery Player - New York Red Bulls
- Galaxy Sends Henry Zambrano to D.C. - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Acquires Colombian Striker Henry Zambrano From Los Angeles - D.C. United
- AT&T Wireless 'Kick for Cash' to Take Place Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Wizards Midfielder Francisco Gomez Inks Four Year Deal - Sporting Kansas City
- Celtic Heritage Day at INVESCO Field - Colorado Rapids
- Wizards Fall to Fire on the Road - Sporting Kansas City
- Fire Cruises Past Kansas City, 5-1 - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Fall in New England
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Conclude Two-Match Road Trip at New England
- Red Bulls Snap Three-Match Losing Streak, Tie SKC, 2-2
- Match Preview: New York Starts Two-Match Roadtrip, Begins with Sporting KC
- New York Red Bulls and Prudential Financial Sign 12 Players to Unified Team