Galaxy Sends Henry Zambrano to D.C.
PASADENA, CA (Thursday, August 15, 2002) - The Los Angeles Galaxy completed its trade with D.C. United sending forward Henry Zambrano to United and in exchange receives back its conditional 2003 MLS SuperDraft pick from the Chris Albright trade (1/11/02) announced Galaxy VP/GM Doug Hamilton. In order to execute the trade, Los Angeles selected Zambrano, who had signed with MLS early in the week, after five teams passed in this afternoon's MLS Waiver Draft.
"We are pleased to be able to get back our 2003 SuperDraft pick because it gives us more freedom heading into next year and allows us a number of different options," said Hamilton.
A senior international, Zambrano spent two seasons in MLS and returns to the league after being on loan from MLS to Millonarios of the Colombian 1st Division. A former member of the Colorado Rapids and MetroStars, Zambrano compiled 32 games played - 27 started - and 17 points in 2,263 minutes on the pitch. As a member of the MetroStar in 1999, Zambrano recorded three goals and three assists. In 2000, the 5-6, 140-pound forward grabbed two goals and four assists with the Rapids.
Up next, the Los Angeles Galaxy hosts Western Conference rival Carlos "El Pibe" Valderrama and the Colorado Rapids on Saturday, August 17 at 7:00 pm (PT) at the Rose Bowl. Galaxy fans can tune in live over the airwaves on KTNQ 1020 AM (Spanish) and on ESPN Radio 1110 AM (English).
For more information regarding Los Angeles Galaxy tickets, please call the Galaxy toll free at (877) 3GALAXY.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 15, 2002
- United Midfielder Richie Williams Fined - MLS
- Crew Announce Golf, Karaoke Details - Columbus Crew SC
- MetroStars Sign Defender Leo Krupnik as a Discovery Player - New York Red Bulls
- Galaxy Sends Henry Zambrano to D.C. - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Acquires Colombian Striker Henry Zambrano From Los Angeles - D.C. United
- AT&T Wireless 'Kick for Cash' to Take Place Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Wizards Midfielder Francisco Gomez Inks Four Year Deal - Sporting Kansas City
- Celtic Heritage Day at INVESCO Field - Colorado Rapids
- Wizards Fall to Fire on the Road - Sporting Kansas City
- Fire Cruises Past Kansas City, 5-1 - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Cup Returns to Orange County Great Park
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Efrain Alvarez Named to Mexico's U-17 FIFA World Cup Roster
- LA Galaxy to Host Watch Party on October 20 at Dignity Health Sports Park's Legends Plaza for Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Match
- LA Galaxy to Face Minnesota United FC in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs on Sunday, October 20
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Houston Dynamo 4 - Sunday, October 6, 2019