Wizards Midfielder Francisco Gomez Inks Four Year Deal
The Kansas City Wizards have announced that midfielder Francisco Gomez has signed a new four-year contract with Major League Soccer. Per league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. Gomez, who joined the Wizards prior to the 1999 season from Project-40, has appeared in 19 games for Kansas City this season, making 13 starts and registering four assists.
"I think Francisco is an immensely talented, young midfielder," said Wizards Head Coach Bob Gansler. "He has a tremendous future in this league in the playmaking role. He has been a very good passer ever since his U-17 National Team days and through his involvement in various youth National Teams. He sees the game extremely well and it is only a matter of time before he puts his stamp on this league."
The Watsonville, California native saw limited playing time in his first two seasons, combining for 21 appearances and 11 starts between 1999 and 2000. In those two years, he scored three goals and added one assist. Gomez had a breakout year last season, appearing in 24 games on the year with 16 starts. He posted career numbers with four goals and six assists for 16 points.
"I have learned a lot in my first four years with the team and I know there is more to come in the years ahead," said Gomez. "Staying in Kansas City is important to me as I start my family life with my fiancée."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 15, 2002
- United Midfielder Richie Williams Fined - MLS
- Crew Announce Golf, Karaoke Details - Columbus Crew SC
- MetroStars Sign Defender Leo Krupnik as a Discovery Player - New York Red Bulls
- Galaxy Sends Henry Zambrano to D.C. - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Acquires Colombian Striker Henry Zambrano From Los Angeles - D.C. United
- AT&T Wireless 'Kick for Cash' to Take Place Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Wizards Midfielder Francisco Gomez Inks Four Year Deal - Sporting Kansas City
- Celtic Heritage Day at INVESCO Field - Colorado Rapids
- Wizards Fall to Fire on the Road - Sporting Kansas City
- Fire Cruises Past Kansas City, 5-1 - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Russell's Free Kick Delivers Dramatic 1-1 Draw
- Preview: Sporting Visits Colorado in St. Patrick's Day Clash
- Sporting into Champions League Semis with 3-0 Win
- Preview: Sporting Set for Champions League Quarterfinal Clash
- Sporting Tops Philadelphia 2-0 in Home-Opening Win