D.C. United Acquires Colombian Striker Henry Zambrano From Los Angeles
CHANTILLY, VA (August 15, 2002) - D.C. United announced today that the club has acquired former MetroStars and Colorado Rapids forward Henry Zambrano from the Los Angeles Galaxy. Zambrano had been signed earlier this week by MLS and was claimed by the Galaxy this afternoon after five other teams neglected to select him. In exchange for Zambrano, United will forgo remaining "future considerations" from the Chris Albright trade (1/11/02). Zambrano is expected to join the Black-and-Red next week once he receives a P-1 visa.
"Henry is a technically gifted forward who has solid professional and international experience," said United Technical Director Dave Kasper. "We look for Henry to make a quick transition into our team."
Zambrano, 29, will fill United's third Senior International slot on its roster. A veteran of the Colombian and Ecuadoran leagues in South America, he began his MLS career in 1999 with the MetroStars before moving to the Colorado Rapids. Zambrano was signed by MLS and allocated to the MetroStars on July 13, 1999, from Colombian club Atletico Nacional. His first MLS goal was the game-winner in a win over Columbus on September 12, snapping a 12-game losing streak for the MetroStars. He finished the 1999 season with three goals and three assists in 14 games for the MetroStars.
Zambrano was traded to Colorado on February 14, 2000, in exchange for an allocation. The 5-6, 148 lb. striker tallied two goals and four assists for the Rapids in 18 appearances (13 starts) during the 2000 season before returning to Colombia. He has most recently been playing with Colombian First Division side Millonarios on loan from MLS.
"Henry is a highly skilled and very tricky footballer with experience and toughness who should be able to give our offense a nice boost," added United Head Coach Ray Hudson. "We are extremely fortunate that Henry is willing to take this opportunity to prove himself for the remainder of the season."
Zambrano, known by his nickname "El Ferry," has also played for Colombian clubs Independiente Medellin (1992-'95), America de Cali (1996-'98), and Liga Deportiva de Quito in Ecuador (1998).
Zambrano has international experience with the Colombian national team, as well. He has made seven appearances for his country, scoring three goals. The forward played for Colombia in the 1999 Copa America tournament. He made his debut with the full national team in 1997 after participating in the youth system since 1991.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 15, 2002
- United Midfielder Richie Williams Fined - MLS
- Crew Announce Golf, Karaoke Details - Columbus Crew SC
- MetroStars Sign Defender Leo Krupnik as a Discovery Player - New York Red Bulls
- Galaxy Sends Henry Zambrano to D.C. - Los Angeles Galaxy
- D.C. United Acquires Colombian Striker Henry Zambrano From Los Angeles - D.C. United
- AT&T Wireless 'Kick for Cash' to Take Place Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Wizards Midfielder Francisco Gomez Inks Four Year Deal - Sporting Kansas City
- Celtic Heritage Day at INVESCO Field - Colorado Rapids
- Wizards Fall to Fire on the Road - Sporting Kansas City
- Fire Cruises Past Kansas City, 5-1 - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Duo Wayne Rooney and Luciano Acosta Make 2018 MLS Best XI
- D.C. United Defender Taylor Kemp Retires from Professional Soccer
- The FA to Honor Wayne Rooney
- D.C. United Fall to Columbus in Penalties
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS