McAllister Named EL Pitcher of the Week
(Trenton, NJ)- The Trenton Thunder, Double-A Affiliate of the New York Yankees, have announced that RHP Zach McAllister has been named the Eastern League Pitcher of the Week for the week ending on May 31.
The 6-foot-5 right-hander made a pair of starts for the Thunder last week, and was 2-0 with a 0.66 ERA in 13.2 innings pitched. He also struck out a combined 15 batters in the two starts. McAllister made his first appearance of the week last Tuesday at New Britain, and pitched seven shutout innings to earn the victory in Trenton's 11-0 win. He gave up just four hits and two walks and struck out five Rock Cats hitters in the win.
The Chillicothe, Illinois native also earned a win in his second start of the week in yesterday's game against Altoona. He allowed only one run on five hits in 6 2/3 innings in Trenton's 4-1 win over the Altoona Curve on Sunday afternoon. He struck out a season-high 10 batters. He was the first Trenton pitcher to strike out 10 batters in a game this season.
McAllister has a record of 4-2 in nine starts for the Thunder this season, and is currently ranked third in the league in ERA (1.84). In 2008, McAllister appeared in 25 combined games between Charleston (Low-A) and Tampa (High-A), and posted a combined 14-9 record with a 2.09 ERA. He struck out 115 in 151 innings on the season. The former All-State pitcher at Illinois Valley Central High School was selected by the New York Yankees in the 3rd round of the 2006 draft.
Trenton and Bowie begin a five-game series tonight from Waterfront Park. RHP Josh Schmidt (3-1, 1.48) will start for Trenton. He will be opposed by Bowie RHP John Mariotti (0-2, 4.64). Game time is set for 7:05 pm. For tickets call 609-394-3300 or you can order online at www.trentonthunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 1, 2009
- Aeros Outlast Phillies in 12, 13-10 - Akron RubberDucks
- Double Steal Helps B-Mets Beat 'Dogs - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- B-Mets Steal One from 'Dogs in 10 Innings - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder Quiets Baysox Offense - Bowie Baysox
- Curve Claw Back to 5-4 Win in Extras - Altoona Curve
- Defenders Get Trounced 9-0 - Connecticut Defenders
- Trenton Blanks Bowie 2-0 - Trenton Thunder
- New Hampshire Clips Senators 2-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Altoona Curve...Game One of Four - Erie SeaWolves
- Vazquez Placed on Disabled List - Trenton Thunder
- Wolves Begin Four-Game Series With Altoona Tonight - Erie SeaWolves
- McAllister Named EL Pitcher of the Week - Trenton Thunder
- Thunder Clean Water Pledge Program Concluded Third Year on Sunday - Trenton Thunder
- Aerodynamics - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve Tonight at Erie - Altoona Curve
- Bates Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Portland Sea Dogs
- Eastern League Announces Weekly Award Winners - EL
- Phillies 2006 top pick Kyle Drabek joins Reading - Reading Fightin Phils
- Cardona Joins Baysox - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.