Mazzaro's Masterpiece Helps Ducks Blank Revolution
(York, Pa.) - The Long Island Ducks shut out the York Revolution 2-0 on Thursday night in the finale of a four-game series at PeoplesBank Park and final road game of the 2019 regular season.
The Ducks opened the scoring in the first inning with an RBI single to left field from Hector Sanchez off Revolution starter Mitch Atkins. Back-to-back doubles by Sanchez and Deibinson Romero to begin the fourth increased the lead to two.
That was more than enough for Ducks starter Vin Mazzaro (11-4) to earn the win. The right-hander tossed six scoreless innings, allowing just two hits and three walks while striking out six batters. Atkins (11-6) suffered the loss, conceding two runs on six hits and a walk over seven innings with five strikeouts. Myles Smith picked up his second save with a 1-2-3 ninth inning, striking out one.
Sanchez led the Flock offensively with two hits, an RBI and a run scored, while David Washington added two doubles.
The Ducks return home on Friday to open a three-game series against the High Point Rockers. Game time is slated for 6:35 p.m., with the Bethpage Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 (5:20 for full season ticket holders). The first 1,500 fans in attendance will receive Ducks Foam Fingers, courtesy of Main Street Meats. It's a Flashback Friday at the ballpark, and fans will be able to enjoy 2000 season pricing ($8/$9) on select Ducks individual game tickets purchased via the team's in-game vendors (restrictions apply). In addition, Ducks staff members will be handing out coupons for a free regular sub (no purchase necessary) and $2 off any size sub at Jersey Mike's Subs to fans as they exit the ballpark. Right-hander Brandon Beachy (5-0, 3.34) gets the start for the Ducks against Rockers righty Matt Sergey (3-3, 4.46).
Tickets to the game, and all Ducks home games, can be purchased by visiting the box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX. Those unable to make the game can follow all the action on the Long Island Ducks Broadcast Network. Live streaming video and audio will be available via BoxCast on LIDucks.com, Facebook Live and the Ducks official YouTube channel.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball and play their home games at Bethpage Ballpark. For further information, call (631) 940-DUCK or visit www.liducks.com.
Images from this story
Long Island Ducks pitcher Vin Mazzaro
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 19, 2019
- Morin's Rare Feat Boosts Barnstormers - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Mazzaro's Masterpiece Helps Ducks Blank Revolution - Long Island Ducks
- Blue Crabs Drop Finale with Stormers - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Revolution Claims Second-Half Championship; Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - York Revolution
- Nash's 40th Keys Dramatic Comeback as Revs Force Extras, Clinch Second Half Crown - York Revolution
- Rockers Win Deals Bees Crushing Blow To Playoff Hopes - New Britain Bees
- Patriots Strike Early in Fourth-Straight Win - Somerset Patriots
- Anderson Pitches Way Into Record Book - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Ducks Clinch Second Half Title and Winningest Season in Team History - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.