Mayo Takes First Step in His Journey to the WHL
Hunter Mayo moved one step closer Wednesday to his long-time goal of playing at the major junior hockey level.
The Red Deer Rebels first pick in this year's Western Hockey League bantam draft participated in the team's first rookie camp scrimmage Wednesday at the Centrium and emerged with a wide smile.
"It was really exciting to be out here, a lot of great talent I'm competing against," he said. "It's always been a dream to play in 'The Dub' so it's really exciting to be close to it.
"I'm hoping to do well at this camp and move on to main camp (and play in the Black and White game slated for Saturday at 11 a.m.)."
The 15-year-old defenceman was a standout with his hometown Martensville bantam AA (the AA level in Saskatchewan is equal to AAA in other provinces) Marauders last season. He excelled at both ends of the ice, scoring 15 goals and recording 42 points and 66 minutes in penalties in 28 games.
The Rebels were without a first-round pick in the draft and following a deal with the Brandon Wheat Kings moved up to take Mayo 23rd overall, the first pick of the second round.
Rebels assistant GM Shaun Sutter and the team's Saskatoon scout Thomas Miller showed interest in Mayo during the season and met with the player and his parents.
"They talked to me coming into the draft. It was pretty cool to meet them," said Mayo.
"I played a strong year, I felt pretty confident in myself that I was going to be drafted," he added. "This is one team I had in mind because this is such a great organization.
"I was really thrilled to get drafted here. This is a great facility, there's a great coaching staff here . . . love everything about it."
Mayo won't be eligible to play full-time with the Rebels until next year.
Rookie camp continues Thursday with scrimmages at 9:15 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Rebels rookie camp rosters
(Includes year of birth and hometown; a-draft pick, b-listed, c-invited)
Team A Grey
Goal - a-Merik Erickson, 2004, Delta, B.C.; a-Dylan Lacroix, '03, Calgary.
Defence - c-JR Ashmead, '03, Calgary; a-Jace Weir, '04, Coldstream, B.C.; a-Kody Norberg, '04, Warman, Sask.; c-Quinton Unreiner, '03, Medicine Hat; c-Connor Klassen, '03, Crooked Creek, Alta.; c-Luke Marshall, '04, Saskatoon; c-Lane Bull, Revelstoke, B.C.
Forwards - c-Caelan Fitzpatrick, '03, Moose Jaw; a-Carter Anderson, '04, Thompson, Man.; a-Parker Lalonde, '04, Aberdeen, Sask.; c-Levi Fesyk, '04, St. Albert; b-Connor Poffenroth, '03, Okotoks; c-Keagon Little, '03, Wymark, Sask.; c-Zakk Makeiff, '04, St. Albert; c-Matthew Perkins, '04, White City, Sask.; c-Rachonne Henry, '03, Woodmore, Man.; c-Josh Fast, 03, East St. Paul, Man.; c-Adam Ingram, West St. Paul, Man.
Team B Burgundy
Goal - a-Justen Maric, '04, Edmonton; a-Zane Winter, '03, Carlyle, Sask.
Defence - c-Alex Serraglio, '03, Langley, B.C.; a-Hunter Mayo, '04, Saskatoon; c-Aiden Dufault, '03, Narol, Man.; a-Logan Wright, '04, Plymouth, Minn.; c-Samuel Lawson, '04, Calgary; c-Samuel Belanger, '04, Edmonton; c-Ranon Joseph, '03, Sherwood Park.
Forwards - c-Benjamin Schmidt, '04, Southey, Sask.; a-Dylan Fader, '03, Vancouver; c-Logan Breitkreuz, '04, Regina; a-Declan Cosford, '04, Regina; a-Hunter Brown, '03, Fort St. John, B.C.; c-Carter Sachs, '04, Warman, Sask.; c-Riley Teulon, '04, Rimbey; a-Jhett Larson, '04, Delisle, Sask.; b-Kyle Heintz, '03, Luseland, Sask.; c-Jackson Rowland, '04, Calgary; c-Cameron Hibbert, '03, Winnipeg; c-Liam Gorman, '04, Leduc.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from August 28, 2019
- Mayo Takes First Step in His Journey to the WHL - Red Deer Rebels
- Rebels Hopeful Fischer Sees the Benefits of Attending a Hockey Academy - Red Deer Rebels
- Silvertips Sign U.S. Born Prospect, Seattle Native, and Forward Brendan Lee to a WHL Standard Player Agreement - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Open 2019 Training Camp with Fitness Testing - Calgary Hitmen
- Blades Shave Roster Down to 36 - Saskatoon Blades
- Cougars Announce Single Game Tickets on Sale Date & Feature Games Schedule - Prince George Cougars
- Royals Sign Trio of Players - Victoria Royals
- Tigers Invited to Attend NHL Camps - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Team Black Wins 2019 Rob Charney Cup - Prince George Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Red Deer Rebels Stories
- No Training Camp for Rebels Prior to Start of 2020-21 Season
- Western Hockey League Announces Opening Date for 2020-21 Regular Season
- Sutter Disappointed for Sedoff, King After Both Passed over in NHL Draft
- Rebels Veteran Douglas Working on Improving His Offensive Game During Extended Off-Season
- Red Deer World Juniors Postponed