Mayhem Game Notes: Mayhem at Knoxville Ice Bears
LAST GAME PLAYED: This is a battle of two teams trending in opposite direction over the past few games. The Mayhem defeated the Evansville Thunderbolts 3-2 in overtime last night to win their third straight game. Knoxville fell to the ninth-place Birmingham Bulls 4-3 last night to drop their third straight.
SCOUTING THE ICE BEARS: Knoxville is 1-4-0 over their past five games and 4-4-2 over their last 10, and they have now dropped two straight and fallen to fifth place in a tight SPHL race. The team is toward the middle of the pack in both goals per game and goals against per game. They rank fourth in goals for per game at 3.63 and rank fifth in goals against per game at 3.23. Knoxville excels on the penalty kill, as they rank first at 88.62%, and they shut down all five Mayhem power plays on Saturday. Even after dropping their last three at home, the Ice Bears are still one of the best home teams in the league at 12-7-1 this season.
PUSHING THE RIGHT BUTTONS: Kevin Kerr made a pair of roster moves this week, and both moves helped lead the Mayhem to victory last night against Evansville. The Mayhem acquired Dakota Klecha from the Fayetteville Marksmen, and Klecha tallied two assists against Evansville - including an assist on Jake Trask's game-winning goal in overtime. The team signed center Kevin Irwin to a three-game contract on Wednesday, as well. Irwin, playing in his first professional game, scored the game-tying goal in the third period after Evansville had taken the lead just 23 seconds earlier.
STARTING QUICK: Starting quickly is a major key to success for the Mayhem. When they score first this season, they are 15-3-3, and then when they lead after one period, they are 12-0-1. When they lead entering the third period, they are 17-0-2 on the season.
BACK IN ACTION: The Mayhem stay on the road to take on the Mississippi RiverKings on Tuesday night. They return home after a long road trip to take on this same Knoxville team on Thursday, March 1st for College Spring Break Night at the Macon Coliseum.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from February 24, 2018
- RiverKings Silence Rail Yard Dawgs, 4-3 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Dawgs Extend Point Streak to Nine But See Winning Streak Snapped at Eight in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Petaccio Scores 15th Goal of the Season in Loss to Rivermen - Evansville Thunderbolts
- Dylan Denomme Scores Hat Trick in 5-4 Loss to Knoxville - Macon Mayhem
- Three First Period Goals Lead Ice Flyers over Marksmen - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rivermen Game Notes: Peoria Rivermen at Evansville Thunderbolts - Peoria Rivermen
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (19-19-3) at RiverKings (19-19-2) - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Mayhem Game Notes: Mayhem at Knoxville Ice Bears - Macon Mayhem
- Bulls Tame the Ice Bears - Birmingham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.