Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (19-19-3) at RiverKings (19-19-2)
Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 7:00 PM CST
Landers Center - Southaven, MS
Broadcast: SPHL Live | Mixlr
LAST TIME OUT: Phil Bronner, Daniel Vernace and Zach Tatrn all scored, Nick Schneider had two assists and Brad Barone made 37 saves as the Rail Yard Dawgs edged the Mississippi RiverKings, 3-2, Friday night at Landers Center. Roanoke killed off a late 5-on-3 power play to hang on for the win
WE'RE GOING STREAKING!: Roanoke's win over Mississippi on Friday was its eighth in a row, extending the longest winning streak in franchise history. The Rail Yard Dawgs have outscored their opponents a combined 34-15 during the life of the streak. Roanoke has not lost since it fell to Knoxville at home on February 2, 3-2.
BRICK WALL BARONE: Brad Barone stopped 37 of the 39 shots he faced on Friday, lowering his GAA to 2.95 and raising his save percentage to .919. Barone is now third in the SPHL in GAA and leads the league in save percentage. He has won each of his last six appearances while putting up a 1.00 GAA and .964 SV %.
ROSTER MOVEMENT: The Rail Yard Dawgs made a handful of roster moves throughout the week, most notably a trade on Thursday. Roanoke sent defenseman Ben Bauer and forward Mitchell Mueller to Fayetteville in exchange for forward Chris Porter. The Dawgs also signed defenseman Yan Dumontier to a contract and forward Maxime Guyon to a three-game tryout contract on Thursday. Captain Nick Schneider was loaned to ECHL Wheeling on Tuesday and returned Friday afternoon and Viktor Tiutchenko was placed on waivers on Monday.
PACK YOUR BAGS: Saturday's game is the third of seven straight that the Rail Yard Dawgs will play away from home. Roanoke will not play on Berglund Center ice again until March 15. The Dawgs are 8-8-2 on the road and 11-11-1 at home this season.
STRONG UNDER BREMNER: Roanoke's win on Sunday pushed its record under head coach Dan Bremner to 14-8-1. The Dawgs also recorded their first win of the season against Mississippi on Friday in Bremner's first game against the RiverKings.
? MOVIN' ON UP ? : Roanoke's win on Friday vaulted itself past Mississippi into seventh place in the SPHL. It is the first time this season the Dawgs have had sole possession of a spot higher than eighth and the highest spot they have held since being tied for seventh following the first weekend of the season.
HOT STARTS: The Dawgs got the goal scoring started on Friday when Zach Tatrn netted a first period goal. Roanoke has now scored first in seven of the eight games during its current winning streak. The Rail Yard Dawgs are 14-3-0 when scoring first this season and 5-16-3 when allowing the first goal.
UP NEXT: Roanoke will continue its road swing on Friday night in Pensacola against the Ice Flyers. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 PM CST.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from February 24, 2018
- RiverKings Silence Rail Yard Dawgs, 4-3 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Dawgs Extend Point Streak to Nine But See Winning Streak Snapped at Eight in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Petaccio Scores 15th Goal of the Season in Loss to Rivermen - Evansville Thunderbolts
- Dylan Denomme Scores Hat Trick in 5-4 Loss to Knoxville - Macon Mayhem
- Three First Period Goals Lead Ice Flyers over Marksmen - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rivermen Game Notes: Peoria Rivermen at Evansville Thunderbolts - Peoria Rivermen
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (19-19-3) at RiverKings (19-19-2) - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Mayhem Game Notes: Mayhem at Knoxville Ice Bears - Macon Mayhem
- Bulls Tame the Ice Bears - Birmingham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.