RiverKings Silence Rail Yard Dawgs, 4-3
SOUTHAVEN, Miss. - The RiverKings end the Rail Yard Dawgs' eight-game win streak and win their first game in the shootout, knocking off Roanoke 4-3 at Planters Bank Ice at Landers Center. Mississippi avenged Friday night's 3-2 loss to Roanoke with a comeback performance Saturday night. Shane Bennett notched a goal and an assist to help the RiverKings split the weekend series.
The RiverKings jumped out to an early lead just 38 seconds into the game on the Bennett goal. Koba Jass set the play, finding Bennett open in the slot who slid it past Roanoke goaltender Brad Barone. Mississippi controlled the tempo early and out-shot Roanoke 17-4 in the first period.
Under four minutes into the second period, the RiverKings had a chance to double their lead when Bryan Arneson was awarded a penalty shot. Barone stayed sharp and denied Arneson with a left-pad save keeping the score at 1-0 in favor of Mississippi. Later in the period, Roanoke made the RiverKings pay for missing the penalty shot when Matt Beer deflected a shot past Tyler Green to level the score at one. Beer's goal at the end of the second helped get Roanoke back on track as both teams entered the third period knotted at one goal apiece.
Maxime Guyon, who recently signed a three-game amateur tryout contract, scored seven seconds into the third period and gave Roanoke their first lead of the night, 2-1. Moments later, Ryan Salkeld would answer Guyon with a wraparound goal to tie the game at 2-2. The newest Rail Yard Dawg, Guyon, was yet to be finished when the rookie scored his second goal of the night to give Roanoke a 3-2 lead at the 12-minute mark of the third period. The RiverKings and Brantley Sherwood capitalized on a Cameron Bakker penalty when Bennett's cross-ice pass found Sherwood who tapped it in for the game-tying goal.
After a scoreless overtime, Devin Mantha would net the game's only goal in the shootout which propelled the RiverKings to the 4-3 victory, helped them regain sole possession of seventh place in the SPHL standings, and end the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs' eight-game win streak.
The RiverKings are back in action on Tuesday against the Macon Mayhem at Planter Bank Ice at Landers Center. To get your tickets for Turnt Tuesday, visit RiverKings.com/Turnt or call the RiverKings front office at 662-342-1755.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from February 24, 2018
- RiverKings Silence Rail Yard Dawgs, 4-3 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Dawgs Extend Point Streak to Nine But See Winning Streak Snapped at Eight in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Petaccio Scores 15th Goal of the Season in Loss to Rivermen - Evansville Thunderbolts
- Dylan Denomme Scores Hat Trick in 5-4 Loss to Knoxville - Macon Mayhem
- Three First Period Goals Lead Ice Flyers over Marksmen - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rivermen Game Notes: Peoria Rivermen at Evansville Thunderbolts - Peoria Rivermen
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (19-19-3) at RiverKings (19-19-2) - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Mayhem Game Notes: Mayhem at Knoxville Ice Bears - Macon Mayhem
- Bulls Tame the Ice Bears - Birmingham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.