Franchise Records: The Missouri Mavericks set a new franchise record with their 41st win of the season on Friday, March 21st against the Quad City Mallards. Eric Castonguay tallied his 31st goal of the season on Sunday, March 23rd against the Quad City Mallards for a new franchise best record.
CHL Award Finalists: Three Mavericks players have been named finalists for the 2013-14 Central Hockey League Awards. Team Captain Sebastien Thinel- Most Valuable Player, Shane Owen- Most Outstanding Goaltender (Scott Brower Award), and Matt Stephenson- Most Outstanding Defenseman.
Nominations were collected from all CHL teams and the league front office determined the five finalists for each award. Balloting for the awards has taken place among CHL Head Coaches, team communication departments, and select media members in the Central Hockey League to determine the winners.
Award results will be announced on the following dates: Most Outstanding Defenseman- Wednesday, March 26th, Most Outstanding Goaltender- Friday March 28th, Most Valuable Player- Monday, March 31st.
Best of the Best: The Missouri Mavericks were recognized with 33 awards in the Central Hockey League's 2014 "Best of the Best' poll, 10 awards more than any other team in the league. The Mavericks received 13 first place awards, 8 second place awards, and 12 third place awards.
- First Place Awards : Best Playmaker- Sebastien Thinel, Best Shooter in Shootouts- Sebastien Thinel, Best Penalty Killer- John-Scott Dickson, Best Defensive Defenseman- Matt Stephenson, Best Fighter (Heavyweight)- Colt King, Best Power Forward- Colt King, Most Gentlemanly Player- Mike Ramsay, Best Fans, Toughest Building to Win In, Best PA Announcer, Best Team Website, Best Mascot, and Best On-Ice Promotions.
- Second Place Awards : Most Underrated Player- Trevor Kell, Best on Power Play- Sebastien Thinel, Best Bodychecker- Colt King, Best Power Forward- Andrew Courtney, Most Gentlemanly Player- Eric Castonguay, Best Coach- Scott Hillman, Best Game Notes, and Best Use of Social Media.
- Third Place Awards : Best Overall Player- Sebastien Thinel, Most Valuable to his Team- Sebastien Thinel, Best Goaltender in Shootouts- Shane Owen, Best Penalty Killer- Evan Vossen, Best Defensive Forward- Trevor Kell, Best Training/Equipment Staff, Most Skilled Team, Best Arena, Best Team Uniforms, Best Arena Music, Best City, Best Booster Club.
All-CHL Team: Missouri Mavericks defenseman Matt Stephenson has been named to the 2014 All-CHL Team by the Central Hockey League along with Mavs goaltender Shane Owen.
All-Rookie Team: Missouri Mavericks defenseman Henrik - degaard has been named to the 2014 All-Rookie Team by the Central Hockey League. - degaard scored his first professional goal as a Missouri Maverick on Saturday, March 22nd against the Quad City Mallards and participated in the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia for Team Norway.
Nine-Hundred Milestone: Mavericks Team Captain and leading points-scorer, Sebastien Thinel, notched his 900th Central Hockey League career point on Wednesday, March 5th against the Quad City Mallards, breaking into the "900 Club' as only the third player in Central Hockey League history to tally 900 or more points in his CHL career. Thinel joins Hall of Famers Joe Burton (985) and Travis Clayton (982) in the 900-point club.
Second Overall: Mavericks Team Captain Sebastien Thinel is now second overall in All-Time CHL assists, tallying his 602nd CHL career assist on Sunday, March 16th against the Brampton Beast to surpass Travis Clayton with 601 career CHL assists for the number 2 spot. Thinel is currently ranked second in the league in assists and third in the league for points.
Mavericks Practice/Game Schedule:
Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
MIZ vs QDC 4:05PM 24 25
MIZ vs STC
MIZ vs TUL
MIZ vs TUL
MIZ @ QDC
The Missouri Mavericks are fresh from a 3-game sweep in their weekend series against the Quad City Mallards. The Mavericks captured 6 very important points to remain on top of the Central Hockey League standings with 88 points heading into their next home game matchup with the St. Charles Chill on Tuesday, March 25th at 7:05pm.
The Mavericks took the number one spot in the league on February 8th with a win over the Allen Americans, and were the first team to secure a playoff bid for the 2014 Ray Miron Presidents Cup Playoffs. All eight spots for the 2014 playoffs were claimed with the results of games played on Sunday, March 23rd, but final first round matchups have yet to be announced.
Missouri will host 3 home games in their final week of the regular season, first playing against the St. Charles Chill on Tuesday night (a game originally scheduled for March, 2nd, but postponed due to the weather), then back-to-back matchups against the Tulsa Oilers on Friday and Saturday night, followed by the last game of the year for the Mavericks vs the Quad City Mallards on the road.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2014
- Mallards' Rimmer Called up to AHL's Oklahoma City Barons - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Notes - Kansas City Mavericks
- Ben Gordon Selected to All-CHL Team - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Garett Bembridge and Troy Schwab Named to All-CHL Team - Denver Cutthroats
- Three Mavericks Named to All-CHL Team & All-Rookie Team - Kansas City Mavericks
- Tyler Ludwig Named to All-CHL Team - Allen Americans
- 2013-14 All-CHL Team Announced - CHL
- Tulsa's Adam Pleskach Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Tulsa Oilers
- Vincent Arseneau and Lee Moffie Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Denver Cutthroats
- Tulsa Oilers Weekly News and Notes - Tulsa Oilers
- Alex Lavoie Named to CHL's All Rookie Team - Allen Americans
- Mallards' Rimmer Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Quad City Mallards
- 2013-14 All-Rookie Team Announced - CHL
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Asuchak's Amazing Stretch Earns Player of the Week Award in the CHL - Allen Americans
- Allen's Spencer Asuchak Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - CHL
- Furious Rally Falls Short in Shootout Loss to Allen - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Announce 2020 Mac Awards Recipients
- ECHL Cancels Remainder of 2020-21 Season
- Mavs Weekly: Mavs Welcome Nearly 15,000 Fans over Weekend
- Mavs Defeated by Wichita Saturday Night, 4-1
- Mavs Furious Third Period Comeback Yields Standings Point, But KC Falls 5-4 in Overtime