2013-14 All-CHL Team Announced
March 24, 2014 - Central Hockey League (CHL) News Release
GLENDALE, AZ (March 24, 2014) - The Central Hockey League (CHL) announced today the six member All-CHL Team for the 2013-14 season, selected through balloting of CHL head coaches. The Denver Cutthroats earned two spots on the team with forwards Garett Bembridge and Troy Schwab as did the Missouri Mavericks with goaltender Shane Owen and defenseman Matt Stephenson. The third forward is Tulsa's Ben Gordon and the second defenseman is Allen's Tyler Ludwig.
2013-2014 All-CHL Team
F: Garett Bembridge, Denver Cutthroats
F: Ben Gordon, Tulsa Oilers
F: Troy Schwab, Denver Cutthroats
D: Tyler Ludwig, Allen Americans
D: Matt Stephenson, Missouri Mavericks
G: Shane Owen, Missouri Mavericks
Garett Bembridge, Forward (Denver Cutthroats):
Bembridge is the lone unanimous selection to the year-end team. The Melfort, Saskatchewan native leads the league with 101 points and 40 goals. He is also tops in power play goals (16), tied for the most game winning goals (9) and has nearly one hundred more shots on goal than any other skater. Bembridge is one of the five finalists for the CHL's Most Valuable Player Award.
Ben Gordon, Forward (Tulsa Oilers):
Gordon ranks fourth in the league in scoring with 88 points (35-53=88) and his 35 goals are second in the league. The International Falls, Minnesota native has arguably been the best player in the league since February 1st notching points in 16 of the 19 games since, totaling 14 goals and 22 assists (nearly two points per game). Gordon is also a finalist for the CHL Most Valuable Player Award.
Troy Schwab, Forward (Denver Cutthroats):
Schwab leads all skaters with 69 assists and his 94 overall points rank second only to teammate Garett Bembridge. The Kindersly, Saskatchewan native has recorded points in 53 of 63 games this season with his 16-game point streak earlier this season sitting as the longest in the CHL this year. Schwab is also a finalist for the CHL Most Valuable Player Award.
Tyler Ludwig, Defenseman (Allen Americans):
Ludwig earns a spot on the All-CHL Team for the second straight season and was the top defenseman appearing on 80% of the ballots. The Rhinelander, Wisconsin native leads all d-men with 52 points and 20 goals. His 12 power play goals are the most among blue-liners and his four game winning goals are tied for the most. His 20 goals have come with a shooting percentage of .128 (best among all defensemen). Ludwig is also a finalist for the Most Outstanding Defenseman Award.
Matt Stephenson, Defenseman (Missouri Mavericks):
Stephenson is generally considered the best two-way defenseman in the CHL recording 29 points (6-23=29) to go along with a +19 plus/minus rating. The Midland, Ontario native is the leader of the top defensive unit in the CHL allowing just 2.74 goals per game. Stephenson is also a finalist for the Most Outstanding Defenseman Award.
Shane Owen, Goaltender (Missouri Mavericks):
With an elite class of goaltenders in the CHL this season, Owen edged out the competition appearing on four ballots. The Shanty Bay, Ontario native leads the league with 35 wins (35-13-1) and is third with a 2.56 goals against average and third with a .918 save percentage. Owen has been named the CHL Player of the Week a record four times and was named December's Goaltender of the Month. Owen is also a finalist for the Most Outstanding Goaltender Award.
The next award to be announced will be the CHL Man of the Year on Tuesday, March 25.
2013-14 CHL Awards that have already been announced are:
CHL Athletic Trainer of the Year - Stuart Nichols, Tulsa Oilers
CHL Gunner Garrett Equipment Manager of the Year - Kacee Coberly, Allen Americans
All-Rookie Team - Vincent Arseneau (F, Denver), Alex Lavoie (F, Allen), Adam Pleskach (F, Tulsa), Lee Moffie (D, Denver), Henrik Odegaard (D, Missouri), Ty Rimmer (G, Quad City)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2014
- Mallards' Rimmer Called up to AHL's Oklahoma City Barons - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Notes - Kansas City Mavericks
- Ben Gordon Selected to All-CHL Team - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Garett Bembridge and Troy Schwab Named to All-CHL Team - Denver Cutthroats
- Three Mavericks Named to All-CHL Team & All-Rookie Team - Kansas City Mavericks
- Tyler Ludwig Named to All-CHL Team - Allen Americans
- 2013-14 All-CHL Team Announced - CHL
- Tulsa's Adam Pleskach Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Tulsa Oilers
- Vincent Arseneau and Lee Moffie Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Denver Cutthroats
- Tulsa Oilers Weekly News and Notes - Tulsa Oilers
- Alex Lavoie Named to CHL's All Rookie Team - Allen Americans
- Mallards' Rimmer Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Quad City Mallards
- 2013-14 All-Rookie Team Announced - CHL
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Asuchak's Amazing Stretch Earns Player of the Week Award in the CHL - Allen Americans
- Allen's Spencer Asuchak Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - CHL
- Furious Rally Falls Short in Shootout Loss to Allen - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.