Mallards' Rimmer Named to CHL All-Rookie Team
MOLINE, Ill. (March 24, 2014) - Quad City Mallards goaltender Ty Rimmer has been named to the Central Hockey League all-rookie team, the Mallards announced today in conjunction with the CHL.
Rimmer, 21, has gone 18-14-5 in 39 games this season and is tied for third in the league in shutouts (3), is tied for sixth in save percentage (.906) and ranks seventh in goals against average (2.84) and wins. The 6' 1", 170-pound Edmonton native is also a finalist for the CHL's Most Outstanding Goaltender award.
Rimmer was unanimously voted to the all-rookie team by the CHL's ten head coaches. He is joined on the all-rookie squad by forwards Vincent Arseneau (Denver), Alex Lavoie (Allen) and Adam Pleskach (Tulsa) and defensemen Lee Moffie (Denver) and Henrik Odegaard (Missouri).
Rimmer played three American Hockey League games for the Oklahoma City Barons in December, going 1-0-1 with a 2.65 goals against average and a .930 save percentage during his AHL call-up. Rimmer was also named CHL Rookie of the Month for December.
In preseason, Rimmer participated in not only the Barons' training camp but also the camp of the National Hockey League's Edmonton Oilers.
Rimmer got his first taste of professional hockey last spring when he played one game for the AHL's Manchester Monarchs after completing his junior career with the Lethbridge Hurricanes of the Western Hockey League. Rimmer last season led the WHL in minutes played (3,836) and total saves (2,106) while posting 3.19 goals against average, a .912 save percentage, a record of 24-30-10 and one shutout in 65 games with the Hurricanes.
The 2011-12 campaign was especially successful for Rimmer, who earned WHL first team all-star honors after leading the league in goals against average (2.43) and save percentage (.922), finishing tied for first in shutouts (5) and finishing tied for eighth in wins while going 31-12-1 in 46 games for the Tri-City Americans. His standout efforts helped propel the Americans to the United States Division title.
Over three-plus Western League seasons- during which he also played for the Brandon Wheat Kings and Prince George Cougars in addition to the Americans and Hurricanes- Rimmer went 74-65-14 in 159 games and turned in a 3.01 goals against average, a .910 save percentage and ten shutouts. Before becoming a WHL workhorse, Rimmer spent parts of two seasons in the Alberta Junior Hockey League with the St. Albert Steel and Bonnyville Pontiacs.
The Mallards next play Wednesday night on the road against the Allen Americans. The Mallards' next home game is their regular season finale next Sunday, March 30, at 4:05 p.m. against the Missouri Mavericks. Next Sunday is Fan Appreciation Day at the iWireless Center. Fans can bring their skates to next Sunday's game and skate with the Mallards after that tilt. In addition, all fans in attendance will receive a coupon good for a free bag of popcorn at iWireless Center concession stands.
Tickets for next Sunday's game can be purchased in person at the iWireless Center box office, online at ticketmaster.com, at Ticketmaster outlets or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000 . The ticket office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on game days from 10:00 a.m. until the start of the second period.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2014
- Mallards' Rimmer Called up to AHL's Oklahoma City Barons - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Notes - Kansas City Mavericks
- Ben Gordon Selected to All-CHL Team - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Garett Bembridge and Troy Schwab Named to All-CHL Team - Denver Cutthroats
- Three Mavericks Named to All-CHL Team & All-Rookie Team - Kansas City Mavericks
- Tyler Ludwig Named to All-CHL Team - Allen Americans
- 2013-14 All-CHL Team Announced - CHL
- Tulsa's Adam Pleskach Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Tulsa Oilers
- Vincent Arseneau and Lee Moffie Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Denver Cutthroats
- Tulsa Oilers Weekly News and Notes - Tulsa Oilers
- Alex Lavoie Named to CHL's All Rookie Team - Allen Americans
- Mallards' Rimmer Named to CHL All-Rookie Team - Quad City Mallards
- 2013-14 All-Rookie Team Announced - CHL
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Asuchak's Amazing Stretch Earns Player of the Week Award in the CHL - Allen Americans
- Allen's Spencer Asuchak Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - CHL
- Furious Rally Falls Short in Shootout Loss to Allen - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings