Mavericks Announce the Passing of Former Team Owner Matt Adams
The Kansas City Mavericks announce the tragic passing of former team owner Matt Adams in Lubbock, Texas. He lost his battle with COVID-19 on Monday. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time.
Adams was responsible for bringing hockey to Independence when he founded the team in 2009 as a member of the Central Hockey League.
"The Mavericks lost a part of our history with the passing of Matt Adams," Team President and General Manager Brent Thiessen said. "Matt had the vision and trust to bring hockey to Independence. He always enjoyed bringing his family to the games. He was instrumental in building the Mavericks brand when many thought hockey in KC wouldn't work. He oversaw the transition from the CHL to the ECHL and made sure the Mavericks brand would continue to be successful and a source of pride for the KC area. He will be missed by many. He brought my family and I to Kansas City, and I will always be grateful to him."
The Kansas City Mavericks will be observing a moment of silence before the home game on Saturday to honor and remember the life of Matt Adams.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 21, 2021
- Mavericks Announce the Passing of Former Team Owner Matt Adams - Kansas City Mavericks
- Colby McAuley Returning to Allen - Allen Americans
- IceMen Add Trio of Players in Bradford, Brooks & Miller - Jacksonville IceMen
- ECHL Transactions - January 21 - ECHL
- Thunder Signs Veteran Forward Albert - Wichita Thunder
- Jake Slaker, Luke Martin Join Texas Stars on Professional Tryout - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Popular Goalie Jake Paterson Returns - Allen Americans
- Oilers Fall to Top-Spot Fuel - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Defeated by Allen Friday Night 4-3
- Mavericks Defeated by Allen Wednesday Night 3-2
- Mavs Game Preview at Allen
- Former Maverick Kyle Burroughs Makes NHL Debut with Colorado Avalanche
- Matt Greenfield Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week for the Second Time this Season