MATCH Preview: Revolution Visit Chicago Fire FC on Saturday Night
CHICAGO - The New England Revolution (13-5-9, 48 pts; . - 5th in East.) will have an opportunity to clinch a spot in the Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs when they close the three-game road stretch this Saturday against Chicago Fire FC (8-12-9; 33 pts.- 11th in East.) at Soldier Field. The match kicks off at 8:30 p.m. ET and is free to watch on Apple TV in English and Spanish. Saturday's contest also airs locally on the radio on 98.5 The Sports Hub, with Brad Feldman and Charlie Davies on the call, and on 1260 AM Nossa Radio USA in Portuguese.
With a win or draw against Chicago on Saturday night, New England will clinch a berth in the Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs. The Revolution can also clinch their fourth postseason bid over the last five years if D.C. United loses or draws against the New York Red Bulls.
Interim Head Coach Clint Peay leads New England into the match as the team looks to rebound from a 2-1 defeat at the Colorado Rapids last weekend. Defender Omar Gonzalez accounted for the Revolution goal with a headed finish. The veteran center back, now in his 15th professional season and second with New England, has started the last five league games alongside Dave Romney in central defense. Romney, set to make his 200th MLS regular season appearance on Saturday, leads all MLS outfield players in league starts (114) and minutes played (10,205) since the start of 2020, while ranking second in clean sheets (37) over that four-season span. His ironman status has continued in New England, playing every minute of his debut season with the club.
Carles Gil continues to make his case for his second Landon Donovan MVP Award in three years, once again ranking among the league leaders in assists (3rd - 13), chances created, and overall goal contributions. The Revolution captain's 13th assist of the year in Colorado puts him two behind the MLS lead. The league's leading chance creator in each of the last two seasons, Gil's 82 this season rank second after he added seven key passes against Colorado, per Opta. In his career against Chicago, Gil has record four assists, with one goal, in eight games.
Matt Polster, who spent four seasons with Chicago from 2015-18 before departing for Scottish side Rangers FC, is set to return to action against his old club. Polster, who sat out last weekend's match due to yellow card accumulation, has recently shifted to the backline from his usual midfield role, starting multiple games at right back following the season-ending knee injury to Brandon Bye.
New England, winless in its last three games, is unbeaten in its last nine meetings with Fire FC dating back to 2018. The two teams battled to a 3-3 draw in their last match on May 27 at Gillette Stadium. Chicago, without a win in six games (0-5-1), fell to the Columbus Crew, 3-0, on Wednesday night. Fire FC enters the weekend three points below the playoff line in the Eastern Conference, while the Revolution could climb as high as second place in the East with a victory.
Matchday #34 at Chicago Fire FC
Date: Saturday, September 23, 2023
Kickoff: 8:30 p.m. ET
Location: Soldier Field (Chicago, Illinois)
WATCH & LISTEN:
Watch free on Apple TV in English and Spanish
English Talent: Eric Krakauer (Play-by-Play), Lloyd Sam (Analyst)
Spanish Talent:Diego Pessolano (Play-by-Play), Luis Gerrardo Bucci (Analyst)
English Radio: 98.5 FM The Sports Hub (WBZ-FM)
Radio Talent: Brad Feldman and Charlie Davies
Portuguese Radio: WBIX 1260 AM "Nossa Radio USA"
STORYLINES vs. Chicago Fire FC: Click HERE to view the Revolution's game notes for Saturday's match. Click HERE for the matchday release including stats and storylines to watch for against Chicago Fire FC.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 22, 2023
- Rapids at Portland Timbers FC: Preview - Colorado Rapids
- MATCH Preview: Nashville SC Finishes Western Conference Two-Match Road Week at San Jose Earthquakes - Nashville SC
- Compass Minerals to Support Sporting KC's Kick Childhood Cancer Match - Sporting Kansas City
- MATCH Preview: Revolution Visit Chicago Fire FC on Saturday Night - New England Revolution
- LAFC Travels to Face Philadelphia Union Saturday, September 23 at Subaru Park - Los Angeles FC
- Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs Clinching and Elimination Scenarios - Matchday 34 (September 23-24) - MLS
- Minnesota United FC vs. St. Louis City SC Preview - Minnesota United FC
- New York Battle D.C. United in Second Leg of Atlantic Cup on Saturday Night - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Inter Miami CF to Visit Rival Orlando City SC on Sunday - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal on the Road Saturday against Atlanta - Club de Foot Montreal
- Campeones Cup Community Project Creates Access for Future Soccer Champions Through Pitch Renovations in Underserved Communities in the United States and Mexico - Los Angeles FC
- Campeones Cup Community Project Creates Access for Future Soccer Champions Through Pitch Renovations in Underserved Communities in the United States and Mexico - MLS
- GENashville SC Hits the Road Again to Take on the San Jose Earthquakes - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Host Charlotte FC as Chase for Silverware Continues - FC Cincinnati
- Álvaro Barreal's Sensational Goal vs Pittsburgh Riverhounds Nominated for FIFA Puskás Award - FC Cincinnati
- Rapids Visit Providence Park for Contest with Portland Timbers - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. CF Montreal - Atlanta United FC
- Nashville SC to Host Official Hispanic Heritage Night and Celebrate Local Communities Through October 15 - Nashville SC
- Sporting KC Hosts Houston on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Expected Goals: Upcoming Milestones for Matchday 34 - MLS
- New York Red Bulls Forward Dante Vanzeir Suffers Lumbar Spine Injury - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Vancouver Saturday - Real Salt Lake
- Match Preview: Charlotte FC at FC Cincinnati - Charlotte FC
- Keys to the Match: Go Again - New York City FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Captain Luciano Acosta to Long-Term Contract Extension - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: November 21, 2023
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: November 14, 2023
- Revolution Academy Midfielder Cristiano Oliveira Called up for Under-16 U.S. Youth National Team Training Camp
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: November 9, 2023
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: November 2, 2023