Mason named ADT Defensive Player of the Month
Austin Wranglers defensive specialist Damon Mason has been selected as the Arena Football League's ADT Defensive Player of the Month for January/February. In five games for the Wranglers, Mason has played a vital role in the team's 4-1 start this season. He has been named ADT Defensive Player of the Game twice and ADT Defensive Player of the Week once this season.
Mason (5-9, 190, Louisiana-Lafayette) leads the AFL with six interceptions and 106 return yards through five games, which is just one shy from his career mark of seven in a season. Through the first month of the AFL's 20th season, the three-time All-Arena selection leads the Wranglers with 28 tackles and five pass breakups.
In both of the Wranglers first two games, Mason earned the ADT Defensive Player of the Game honor. Against Las Vegas, Mason recorded two interceptions for Wranglers season- and single-game highs of 47 return yards. He also tied a Wranglers single-game high with nine tackles.
Against Arizona, Mason reestablished the records set a week prior with his three-interception performance, adding 59 return yards. He contributed four tackles and three pass breakups in the road win. For Mason's three interceptions, a new single-game career best, he was named the AFL's ADT Defensive Player of the Week in week two.
In Kansas City, Mason led the team with seven tackles. Against Dallas, Mason recorded five tackles and two pass breakups in the Texas Showdown. In the Wranglers first loss at Tampa Bay, Mason stood out with 4.5 tackles and one interception, bringing his season total to six.
This is Mason's second ADT Defensive Player of the Month selection as he was honored in May of 2005. Mason is the AFL's all-time career tackles leader with 755.5. A nine-year AFL veteran, Mason joined the Wranglers as a free agent in the off-season.
Other AFL monthly award winners included: Dallas Desperados WR/DB WILL PETTIS (Ironman), Utah Blaze OS SIAHA BURLEY, Georgia Force rookie DS CHRIS BROWN (Rookie) and Los Angeles Avengers kicker REMY HAMILTON (Kicker).
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from March 2, 2006
- AFL week six must-see matchups - AFL I
- Time changes for April 22 Force game - Georgia Force
- Crush's Damian Harrell named Maxwell Football Club award winner - Colorado Crush
- AFL week six quick hitters - AFL I
- Kats Place Fleming On IR - Nashville Kats
- Remy Hamilton honored as AFL "Kicker of the Month" - Los Angeles Avengers
- Preds add former Bucs lineman Cleveland Pinkney - Orlando Predators
- Damian Harrell Wins Maxwell Award - AFL I
- Mason named ADT Defensive Player of the Month - Austin Wranglers
- Utah's Burley earns AFL monthly honors - Utah Blaze
- AFL honors five players with monthly awards for January - AFL I
- Force DS Chris Brown named AFL Rookie of the Month - Georgia Force
- Garcia out for the season - New York Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.