Marco Fabian scores seventh goal of the season in loss
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union fell 2-1 to NYCFC on Sunday night at Talen Energy Stadium. Marco Fabian scored the Union's only goal on a penalty kick for his seventh goal of the season. The match, played in front of a sellout crowd of 18,525, was the Union's last regular-season game of the year. The club finished in third place in the Eastern Conference and will take on New York Red Bulls in the first round of the playoffs at home.
Philadelphia Union 1 - New York City FC 2
Talen Energy Stadium (Chester, PA.)
Sunday, October 6, 2019
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Drew Fischer
Assistant Referees: Jeff Hosking, Gjovalin Bori
Fourth Official: Fotis Bazakos
VAR: Geoff Gamble
Weather: 72 degrees and cloudy
NYCFC - Ronald Matarrita (Valentin Castellanos, Ben Sweat) 7'
NYCFC - Ismael Tajouri-Shradi (Valentin Castellanos) 22'
PHI - Marco Fabian (Penalty) 87'
NYCFC - Maxime Chanot, 22'
NYCFC - Anton Tinnerholm, 67'
NYCFC - Alexander Ring, 90'+5
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Raymon Gaddis, Jack Elliott, Mark McKenzie, Kai Wagner; Jamiro Monteiro, Haris Medunjanin; Ilsinho (Marco Fabian, 60'), Brenden Aaronson (Matt Real, 80'), Fafa Picault (Anthony Fontana, 75'); Andrew Wooten
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; RJ Allen, Aurelien Collin, Warren Creavalle
New York City FC: Sean Johnson; Anton Tinnerholm (Sebastien Ibeagha, 90'), Maxime Chanot, Alexander Callens, Ben Sweat; Ebenezer Ofori, Alexander Ring; Ismael Tajouri-Shradi (Jesus Medina, 32'), Maxi Moralez, Ronald Matarrita (James Sands, 82') ; Valentin Castellanos
Substitutes not used: Brad Stuver; Gary Mackay-Steven, Tony Rocha
Tonight's crowd at Talen Energy Stadium was 18,525, the fifth consecutive sellout for the Union at home as well as the eighth of the season (second-most in a season, 2011 had 10)
Marco Fabian scored his seventh goal of the season on a penalty kick... he has the second most goals on the team.
The Union now have 58 goals on the season, the most the team has ever scored in a single season.
The Union return to action for their first playoff match against New York Red Bulls at Talen Energy Stadium. More information regarding date and time of the match will be released by the club as received.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 6, 2019
- Sounders FC Secures Second Place in Western Conference with 1-0 Decision Day Win over Minnesota United FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Defeats Orlando City SC 5-2 at Exploria Stadium - Chicago Fire
- Notes & Quotes: Philadelphia Union 1 - 2 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Clinch Home Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United Draw FC Cincinnati 0-0 in Final MLS Regular Season Match - D.C. United
- Dynamo Send Beasley off with 4-2 Win over LA Galaxy - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United Win 3-1 against New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Tops Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 on Decision Day - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Breaks Single-Season Points Record as Carlos Vela Becomes New MLS Goal-Scoring King - Los Angeles FC
- Impact Shuts out New York Red Bulls 3-0 - Montreal Impact
- FC Dallas Clinches Playoff Berth in 6-0 Shutout against SKC - FC Dallas
- Marco Fabian scores seventh goal of the season in loss - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Houston Dynamo 4 - Sunday, October 6, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC (1) - Columbus Crew SC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Orlando City Fall to Chicago Fire in Season Finale - Orlando City SC
- Quakes season comes to an end in Portland - San Jose Earthquakes
- RSL snap 'Caps three-match undefeated streak in season finale - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FCC close season with a valiant road effort, earning a point with nine men for more than a half - FC Cincinnati
- Carlos Vela Breaks Goalscoring Record with Hat Trick to Capture 2019 MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - MLS
- Postgame Note: Los Angeles FC 3, Colorado Rapids 1 - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Closes out 2019 MLS Season with Defeat at FC Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- Revolution Fall to Atlanta United FC, 3-1, in Regular Season Finale - New England Revolution
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Lose on the Road to Montreal, Finish Sixth in the East - New York Red Bulls
- Mike Jacobs Finds Strong Value in Top Spot in Allocation Ranking Order - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF Gain No.1 Pick in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Storylines | City vs. Chicago Fire - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union on to MLS is Back Semifinals
- Sergio Santos scores match winner, Union advance to MLS is Back Tournament Quarterfinals
- Goal from Ilsinho earns Union another point in draw against Orlando
- Five players make their debut in Union II's return to play
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Nathan Harriel to Homegrown Contract