RSL snap 'Caps three-match undefeated streak in season finale
VANCOUVER, BC - Damir Kreilach's first-half goal was the difference on Sunday afternoon as Vancouver Whitecaps FC lost 1-0 to Real Salt Lake in their 2019 MLS regular season finale at BC Place.
DOWNLOAD: post-match interviews with Marc Dos Santos, Maxime Crépeau, Russell Teibert
The defeat snaps a three-match undefeated streak for the 'Caps, who now enter the offseason with both player recruitment and an extensive global search to hire a sporting director having already gone underway. Visit whitecapsfc.com for 2020 season ticket information.
Real Salt Lake move up to third place in the Western Conference and will host Portland Timbers in Round 1 of the MLS Cup Playoffs. Visit mlssoccer.com for the complete playoff bracket and schedule.
RSL keeper Nick Rimando, playing the final regular season match of his career after announcing that he will be retiring following the year, had five saves on the afternoon for his 10th clean sheet of the season.
Head coach Marc Dos Santos elected to go with six Canadian players on his starting XI for the second consecutive match, and second time since the 'Caps joined MLS in 2011. It was a fitting end to the year that saw Canadians combine for more appearances (129), starts (111), and minutes played (9,727) than any previous WFC MLS season. Homegrown player Georges Mukumbilwa, born in the Democratic Republic of Congo before moving to Canada at age 13, also came on late to make his MLS debut.
After controlling much of the early going, the 'Caps fell behind in the 28th minute. Real Salt Lake had the ball swinging from side to side, then winger Corey Baird sent in a cross that striker Damir Kreilach nodded into the Vancouver net for the 1-0 lead and eventual winner.
The 'Caps looked to set to equalize in the 55th minute but Rimando got his fingertips on Michaell Chirinos' attempt, which banged off the far post.
Fredy Montero and Yordy Reyna came off the Vancouver bench to provide a late spark but the RSL defence would come up with the timely stops. Montero, who finishes the regular season with eight goals, was presented the Domenic Mobilio Golden Boot Award following the match.
CORNERS FOR HEARING:
Whitecaps FC had five corners in today's match, which means Connect Hearing will donate $500 to Hear the World Foundation.
WFC Man of the Match: Michaell Chirinos
Referee: Ted Unkel
28' - RSL - Damir Kreilach (Corey Baird, Kyle Beckerman)
Possession: VAN 44.4% - RSL 55.6%
Shots: VAN 16 - RSL 16
Shots on Goal: VAN 5 - RSL 4
Saves: VAN 3 - RSL 5
Fouls: VAN 7 - RSL 11
Offsides: VAN 1 - RSL 0
Corners: VAN 5 - RSL 4
90' - VAN - Érik Godoy
90'+2' - VAN - Michaell Chirinos
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16.Maxime Crépeau; 22.Érik Godoy, 2.Doneil Henry ©, 13.Derek Cornelius, 53.Ali Adnan; 4.Inbeom Hwang, 15.Andy Rose, 31.Russell Teibert; 50.Theo Bair (29.Yordy Reyna 60'), 87.Tosaint Ricketts (12.Fredy Montero 61'), 33.Michaell Chirinos (56.Georges Mukumbilwa 81')
Substitutes not used
18.Zac MacMath, 6.Jon Erice, 23.Scott Sutter, 94.Victor "PC" Giro
Real Salt Lake
18.Nick Rimando; 22.Aaron Herrera, 15.Justen Glad, 14.Nedum Onuoha, 3.Donny Toia; 25.Everton Luiz, 5.Kyle Beckerman ©; 7.Jefferson Savarino (12.Brooks Lennon 84'), 11.Albert Rusnak (6.Kelyn Rowe 84'), 17.Corey Baird (30.Marcelo Silva 89'); 8.Damir Kreilach
Substitutes not used
51.Andrew Putna, 10.Joao Plata, 23.Sebastian Saucedo, 50.Sam Johnson
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 6, 2019
- Sounders FC Secures Second Place in Western Conference with 1-0 Decision Day Win over Minnesota United FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Defeats Orlando City SC 5-2 at Exploria Stadium - Chicago Fire
- Notes & Quotes: Philadelphia Union 1 - 2 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Clinch Home Playoff Game - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United Draw FC Cincinnati 0-0 in Final MLS Regular Season Match - D.C. United
- Dynamo Send Beasley off with 4-2 Win over LA Galaxy - Houston Dynamo
- Atlanta United Win 3-1 against New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Tops Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 on Decision Day - Real Salt Lake
- LAFC Breaks Single-Season Points Record as Carlos Vela Becomes New MLS Goal-Scoring King - Los Angeles FC
- Impact Shuts out New York Red Bulls 3-0 - Montreal Impact
- FC Dallas Clinches Playoff Berth in 6-0 Shutout against SKC - FC Dallas
- Marco Fabian scores seventh goal of the season in loss - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Houston Dynamo 4 - Sunday, October 6, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Toronto FC (1) - Columbus Crew SC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Orlando City Fall to Chicago Fire in Season Finale - Orlando City SC
- Quakes season comes to an end in Portland - San Jose Earthquakes
- RSL snap 'Caps three-match undefeated streak in season finale - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FCC close season with a valiant road effort, earning a point with nine men for more than a half - FC Cincinnati
- Carlos Vela Breaks Goalscoring Record with Hat Trick to Capture 2019 MLS Golden Boot Presented by Audi - MLS
- Postgame Note: Los Angeles FC 3, Colorado Rapids 1 - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Closes out 2019 MLS Season with Defeat at FC Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- Revolution Fall to Atlanta United FC, 3-1, in Regular Season Finale - New England Revolution
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Lose on the Road to Montreal, Finish Sixth in the East - New York Red Bulls
- Mike Jacobs Finds Strong Value in Top Spot in Allocation Ranking Order - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF Gain No.1 Pick in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Storylines | City vs. Chicago Fire - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Confirm Top Collegiate Recruiting Class
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance
- Winners Announced at 2020 BMO Player Awards Ceremony
- It Starts with a Goal: the Stories Behind Seven Inspiring Young Canadians in the Whitecaps FC BMO Academy System
- 'Caps fall to Timbers, face possible must-win scenario next week