Manitoba Moose Weekly
HALFWAY THROUGH THE TRIP: The Moose have reached the mid-point of their six-game California road swing. The team owns a 2-1-0-0 record and has won two straight heading into a rematch with the Stockton Heat on Wednesday. After allowing five goals in the trip opener, the Moose have been stingy by surrendering just one goal in each of their past two games. Following their matchup with Stockton, the Moose end the swing with games in San Jose on Saturday and Sunday.
OT WINNER: Cameron Schilling scored the first overtime winner for the Moose this season when his goal won the game on Saturday in Bakersfield. The extra-time tally was the first of Schilling's AHL career and his seventh-career game-winning goal in the regular season. The veteran defender has goals in two of his last three games and is tied for the Moose lead among defencemen with seven points (2G, 5A) in 12 games this season.
SCORING NUMBER ONE: Sami Niku picked up his first career AHL goal this weekend, tallying the game-winner against the Stockton Heat on Friday. Niku posted six assists before scoring his first goal. The marker wasn't the Haapavesi, Finland native's first professional goal as the Winnipeg Jets' 2015 seventh round pick posted nine career goals with JYP in SM-Liiga prior to signing with the Jets organization.
IN THE ZONE ON THE ROAD: Goaltender Michael Hutchinson has been putting up a wall on the road for the Moose. The veteran netminder is 3-0-0, earning all of his wins on the season, away from Bell MTS Place with a 1.65 GAA and 0.948 SV%. Hutchinson has yet to allow more than two goals in a game on the road. Overall, Hutchinson sports a 3-1-1 2.40 GAA (13th - AHL) and 0.928 SV% (9th - AHL) in five appearances.
ROLLING THROUGH CALI The Moose picked up two wins over the weekend in California with a 4-1 win in Stockton and a 2-1 overtime victory in Bakersfield. Defencemen picked up key goals with Sami Niku scoring the winner Friday and Cameron Schilling the overtime hero on Saturday. Wednesday, Nov. 1: Manitoba 2 at Bakersfield 5 The Moose carried a 2-1 lead into the third period of Wednesday's matchup against the Condors thanks to goals from Cameron Schilling and Brody Sutter. The third frame saw the Condors take the lead and pull away, scoring four times to down the Moose 5-2. Friday, Nov. 3: Manitoba 4 at Stockton 1 Power play goals from Patrice Cormier and Sami Niku pushed the Moose to a 2-0 lead after two periods. An early Stockton goal in the third put pressure on Manitoba, but Jack Roslovic restored the two-goal edge before Mason Appleton iced the game into an empty net. Eric Comrie made 40 saves to carry the Moose to the 4-1 win. Saturday, Nov. 4: Manitoba 2 at Bakersfield 1 OT The third game in four nights for both the Moose and Condors was a tight-checking affair. Ty Rattie opened the scoring for Bakersfield in the first period. His tally was matched by a late second period strike from Cam Maclise. The third period didn't yield a winner and Cameron Schilling scored in overtime for the Moose to grab the extra point in the 2-1 OT win. [cid:image007.jpg
Stockton, Wednesday, Nov. 8 (9 p.m. CT) at San Jose, Saturday, Nov. 11 (3:15 p.m. CT) at San Jose, Sunday, Nov. 12 (5 p.m. CT) The Moose continue their swing through California with games in Stockton and San Jose this week. Listen to the action on TSN 1290 and at moosehockey.com/listenlive starting 15 minutes before puck drop.
Brody Sutter scored his first goal in Moose colours on Wednesday with a breakaway goal in the second period. The Moose forward has two points (1G, 1A) in nine games this season. A veteran of 239 AHL games, Sutter needs just six more points for 100 in his career.
Images from this story
Manitoba Moose Weekly
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 7, 2017
- NEWS Checkers to Host Carolina Football Night Benefiting - Charlotte Checkers
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS PARTICIPATE IN "MOVEMBER" FOR 7TH YEAR IN A ROW - Cleveland Monsters
- Manitoba Moose Kostalek Assigned to Jacksonville - Manitoba Moose
- Canucks Recall Forward Reid Boucher - Utica Comets
- Teddy Bear Toss 3-Packs on Sale Now - Bakersfield Condors
- COLORADO AVALANCHE REASSIGN FORWARD VLADISLAV KAMENEV TO SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio Rampage
- San Diego Gulls Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- COYOTES RECALL SISLO, ASSIGN DOMINGUE TO TUCSON - Tucson Roadrunners
- Manitoba Moose Moose Launch Third Annual "Share the Warmth" - Manitoba Moose
- Sabres Recall Defenseman Redmond - Rochester Americans
- Canucks Recall Forward Brendan Gaunce from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Manitoba Moose Weekly - Manitoba Moose
- TORONTO MARLIES FORWARD MASON MARCHMENT NAMED CCM/AHL PLAYER OF THE WEEK - AHL
- Reign and Gulls Shift SoCal Series Back to San Diego Saturday - Ontario Reign
- MONSTERS Weekly - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.