Magic Soar over Skyhawks in Home Opener
The Lakeland Magic, NBA G League affiliate of the Orlando Magic, took home a win against the College Park Skyhawks 125-99 during Opening Night at the RP Funding Center.
Two-Way Player, Brandon Goodwin struck first with a layup but the Magic caught up quickly and tied it up at 6 points on a jump shot by BJ Johnson. Lakeland would continue on the scoring streak to take the lead on a three-pointer by Josh Magette. It continued to be a back and forth contest with the score tied up 20-20 with 3:19 remaining in the first. The Magic went up 27-20 on a three-pointer by Stephen Domingo with 1:45 remaining in the first and would take a 33-27 lead at the end of the first.
The Magic came out strong in the second quarter outscoring the Skyhawks 38-22 and continued the hot streak in the third to secure a substantial lead 99-64 going into the last quarter of play. The Skyhawks got a boost in the fourth outscoring Lakeland 35-26 but it wasn't enough to overcome the deficit and the Magic would secure the 125-99 win.
Two-Way Player, Josh Magette led the way for Lakeland with 25 points, 6 rebounds, and 12 assists. Assignment Player, Amile Jefferson in his return to Lakeland posted a double-double with 22 points and 11 rebounds. Isaac Humphries came off the bench and was just shy of the double-double contributing 14 points and 9 rebounds.
The College Park Skyhawks were led by Brandon Goodwin who posted a double-double with 29 points and 10 rebounds. Tahjere McCall scored 19 points and 6 rebounds and Kenny Gabriel finished with 16 points and 6 rebounds on the night.
The Lakeland Magic are back at home tomorrow, November 17 for game two of a back-to-back, against the Erie Bayhawks. Tip-off at the RP Funding Center is set for 6:00 PM. The game will be available on NBAGLeague.com.
Lakeland Magic single-game tickets and group tickets are available now. For ticket information, visit lakelandmagic.com or call 863.825.3258.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 16, 2019
- High-Powered Offense Sends Blue over Knicks - Oklahoma City Blue
- Mulder, Skyforce Surge Past Clippers 122-108 - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Drive Top Swarm for Second Straight Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Magic Soar over Skyhawks in Home Opener - Lakeland Magic
- Timberwolves Assignees Shine in Wolves Loss to Legends - Iowa Wolves
- Blue Coats Fall to Charge on Second Night of Back-to-Back - Delaware Blue Coats
- College Park Skyhawks Waive Ronshad Shabazz - College Park Skyhawks
- Drive Coast to Second-Straight Home Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Ride by Blue Coats for Road Win - Canton Charge
- Red Hot Clippers Take Down Wolves - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Pelicans Transfer Zylan Cheatham from the Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- San Antonio Recalls Keldon Johnson from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Hornets Assign Caleb Martin to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Stars Win Home Opener against Vipers - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakeland Magic Stories
- DeVos Family Pledges up to $2 Million for Magic and Amway Center Hourly Workers
- Lakeland Magic Statement on NBA Suspending Operations
- Jefferson, Magette Lead Magic over BayHawks
- Magic Waive Michale Kyser
- Magic Celebrate City of Lakeland with Swans Night Theme Game