Luis Martinez Promoted to San Diego
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - Former Fort Wayne C Luis Martinez was added to the major-league roster on Friday. When he makes his debut, he will be the 101st Fort Wayne alum to complete the journey from Fort Wayne to the major leagues.
Martinez, 26, played for Fort Wayne in 2007 and 2008, batting a combined .225. He had an offensive breakout in 2009, batting .300 with Advanced-A Lake Elsinore. Last year in the Double-A Texas League, he earned All-Star Game MVP honors and finished the season batting .282. Martinez was batting .313 this season for the Triple-A Tucson Padres at the time of his promotion.
Martinez takes the place of former Fort Wayne C Nick Hundley, who was placed on the Padres' disabled list with an elbow injury.
The TinCaps finish their three-game series against the Dayton Dragons (Class-A Cincinnati Reds) Friday at 7:05 p.m. at Parkview Field. TinCaps LHP Noah Mull (1-2) faces off against Dayton RHP Stalin Gerson (2-0).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 8, 2011
- Record-maker completes doubleheader, series sweep of Captains - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Mateo No-Hits Lake County, Captains Swept - Lake County Captains
- Late Rally, Extras Needed for Bandits Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- River Bandits Come Back for Extra Innings Win - Burlington Bees
- Rattler drop 6-1 decision to Kane County - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kings Ride Six-Run First, Rout Kernels - Clinton LumberKings
- Zambrano Earns No Decision in Rehab Start - Peoria Chiefs
- Billo Leads Cougars to Finale Win - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Return to Pohlman Field this Weekend - Beloit Snappers
- Eleven Alums on Tucson Roster - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons erupt for six-run sixth - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Win 9-1, Improve to 11-4 in Second Half - Dayton Dragons
- Perez, pitching propel Lugnuts to 2-1 win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Silver Hawks Go Winless on Home Stand - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Mike Trout Promoted to the LA Angels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kernels Homestand Preview: July 9-18 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Luis Martinez Promoted to San Diego - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- C Luis Hurtado Joins Lansing - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview: July 9 - July 11 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Announce Players of the Month for June - Dayton Dragons
- Fourth-Round Catcher Hicks Joins Kings - Clinton LumberKings
- Clinton Strikes Out Kernels, 3-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Whitecaps to Honor Negro Leagues - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Gameday for Friday, July 8 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.