Lucky seven, Griffins beat Admirals 1-0
MILWAUKEE, Wis. The Grand Rapids Griffins (14-5-1-0) defeated the defending Calder Cup champion Milwaukee Admirals (13-3-2-1) 1-0 at the Bradley Center on Friday night to move into a tie atop the West Division with 29 points. The win improves the Griffins record on the road to a perfect 7-0-0-0.
In the second of the Griffins Hockeytown Heroes series, former Detroit Red Wing Dino Ciccarelli will sign autographs for fans when the Griffins host the Utah Grizzlies for their initial meeting of the season Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
Joey MacDonald, already the franchises all-time leader in leader in shutouts, made 32 saves for his 13th blanking as a Griffin.
The Admirals started the game as the circuits top penalty killing unit thwarting 92 percent of their opponents man-up situations. On its second opportunity of the night, Grand Rapids managed to crack Milwaukees top-ranked penalty kill for the only goal of the game. Niklas Kronwall moved from the top of the right circle to the middle of the blue line, drawing two defenders. Todd Robinson glided into the vacated area. Kronwall slid a pass to Robinson who promptly fired a shot into the top right corner at 4:42 of the second period for his first goal as a Griffin.
The Griffins converted one of three power plays while denying the Admirals on their six opportunities.
The teams traded scoring chances throughout the remainder of the contest, but were unable to penetrate the two netminders. Brian Finley made 24 saves in a losing effort for Milwaukee.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2004
- Wolves get overtime winner on power play - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Horton sinks Aeros in OT - Houston Aeros
- Sound Tigers Outslug WBS Pens 4-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stoll's three goals fells Ducks - Cincinnati RailRaiders
- Bruins drop heartbreaker to Manchester - Providence Bruins
- Falcons Upend Portland in Overtime, 2-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Shootout stings IceCats - Worcester IceCats
- Lucky seven, Griffins beat Admirals 1-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Garon Stars In Monarchs 12th Straight Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Lawson does it again, Bears win 1-0 in shootout thriller - Hershey Bears
- Bears new merchandise site is here - Hershey Bears
- Ducks sign LW Casey Hankinson to AHL contract - Cincinnati RailRaiders
- Grizzlies Sign Sam Paolini - Utah Grizzlies
- Crunch Announce Details of Canandaigua Wine Company Score For Breast Cancer Awareness Program - Syracuse Crunch
- Teddy Bear Toss, Toy Drive set for December 18 - Houston Aeros
- Penner Reassigned to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Game Day - San Antonio Rampage
- U.S. Army High School Night at the Crunch, Presented by Morrisville State College - Syracuse Crunch
- Aeros host Rampage on Jersey Ornament Night - Houston Aeros
- AHL quick hits - AHL
- Goren hat trick leads Moose over Ducks - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Reassign Klein to Rockford - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.