LouCity Beats NY Red Bulls II 5-3 at Slugger
Louisville City FC notched a season-high five goals in a 5-3 win over league-leading NY Red Bulls II Saturday night at Slugger Field. The Boys in Purple extended their Eastern Conference-best unbeaten streak to eight games with six wins and a pair of draws since their last loss on July 28.
The New York Red Bulls II came into Slugger Field as the top team in the Eastern Conference and drew first blood with a goal by Vincent Bezecourt in the 20', but Louisville City scored three straight goals to take a 3-1 lead.
Louisville City's first goal, a screamer from Oscar Jimenez after an assist by Speedy Williams, equalized the score at 1-1 before Napo Matsoso had back-to-back goals in the 31' and 33' to put Louisville City up 3-1.
A handball call in the box gave the NY Red Bulls a penalty kick in the 37', and Jared Stroud buried the shot to pull within a goal. But Louisville City got a goal in stoppage time from Antoine Hoppenot (assist to Brian Ownby) to give the Boys in Purple a 4-2 lead going into halftime.
LouCity midfielder Niall McCabe drilled a beautiful strike from 10 yards beyond the 18 to push LouCity's lead to 5-2 in the 59'. The booming goal brought the 9,846 fans to their feet. A 71' minute goal by Omar Sowe pulled the Red Bulls to within 5-3, but they couldn't inch any closer.
The win moved Louisville City from 7th to 6th in the Eastern Conference standings with 50 points. LouCity is two points behind fifth-place Pittsburgh Riverhounds and five points behind 4th place Nashville SC. NY Red Bulls II are now in a three-way tie for the league lead with 56 points, but remain in 1st due to the goal differential tiebreaker.
20' - Bezecourt - NYRB, 0-1
24' - Jimenez - LouCity, 1-1
31' - Matsoso - LouCity, 2-1
22' - Matsoso - LouCity, 3-1
37' - Stroud - NYRB, 3-2
45+2' - Hoppenot - LouCity, 4-2
59' - McCabe - LouCity, 5-2
71' - Sowe - NYRB, 5-3
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 21, 2019
- Nashville SC Earns Result in Defensive Struggle against PIttsburgh Riverhounds - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvBST - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- LouCity Beats NY Red Bulls II 5-3 at Slugger - Louisville City FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC to Break Win Streak - Saint Louis FC
- Independence Shut Down by Swope Park - Charlotte Independence
- No. 2 Fresno FC vs. No. 1 Phoenix Rising FC Preview - Fresno FC
- Nashville SC Prepared for Gritty Battle against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Nashville SC
- It's Match Day in Tulsa - Tulsa Roughnecks FC vs Orange County SC - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Energy FC Host Penultimate Home Match Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Take on Tampa Bay Rowdies - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Energy FC Bolsters Squad with Two New Signings - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Ottawa Fury FC vs Hartford Athletic - Ottawa Fury FC
- Although a Hard-Fought Effort, Indy Eleven Falls 1-0 at Birmingham Legion FC - Indy Eleven
- Early Goal Not Enough against Reno 1868 FC - New Mexico United
- T2 Earn 6-3 Victory over Tacoma Defiance - Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Plays to 1-1 Draw Away at LA Galaxy II - San Antonio FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Decision at Portland Timbers 2 - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno Wins Second Straight on Road - Reno 1868 FC
- Legion FC Shuts Down Indy for Huge Win - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.