Reno Wins Second Straight on Road
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - For the second weekend in a row, Reno 1868 FC went on the road and came away with a huge win over a USL Western Conference playoff team. Tonight, the boys in blue topped New Mexico United 3-1 to move to 16-9-5 on the season with 53 points.
"I thought it was a really good road win," said head coach Ian Russell. "I thought it was a game where the whole team played well. Every individual added something to the win."
New Mexico would score first, as Santi Moar put one in the back of the net in the seventh minute.
"It shows that we've got some good character, we know we can create a lot of chances and score goals," said Russell. "Obviously we don't want to go down early but there was no panic."
The home side would hold the 1-0 lead for 38 minutes, but in the 45th minute Corey Hertzog blasted a rebound past the keeper to tie things up. The goal was Hertzog's 15th on the season, a new career high. The total is third-most by any player in club history. Brian Brown holds the second most with 16 in 2018, and Dane Kelly is tops in club history with 18 goals in the 2017 season. The total would not last long.
Early in the second half, Reno would take the lead and never let up. Brent Richards knocked in a Lindo Mfeka corner kick for his first goal since 2017 in the 54th minute to make it 2-1. Mfeka would earn another assist on Hertzog's second goal of the night just moments later. In the
55th minute, the duo would make it 3-1.
For the second night in a row, the boys in blue would survive being outshot in the second half. New Mexico outshot Reno 7-3 in the final 45 minutes, but the 3-1 score held. Reno held New Mexico Scoreless for the final 83 minutes.
"After we scored the third goal, we conceded a little space," said Russell. "It's not something we really planned, but it made it tough for them. We knew they were going to get some balls into the box, but Benji [Galindo Cruz], Emrah [Klimenta], Brent [Richards] and Duke [Lacroix] do an excellent job defending our box."
The win is the 49th regular season win in club history, the second most in USL history for a club's first three seasons. The only club with more wins in their first three seasons was FC Cincinnati with 51 before joining the MLS.
The 49 regular season wins, plus last season's playoff victory make 50 1868 FC wins for Russell.
"I'm really happy, that's an important one. We've gotten a lot of really good support from the San Jose Earthquakes. On the Reno side of things all the logistical stuff has been good, it's transformed into a professional environment that's fostering wins," said Russell. "Both sides have launched this franchise. It's a really good sign for the organization."
Reno will close out the season's home schedule, with a September 28 match against Real Monarchs at 6:45 p.m. PT. The next week, los azules host El Paso Locomotive FC. Tickets for both matches are available online at reno1868fc.com or the Greater Nevada Field box office.
Reno 1868 FC Starting XI
GK (18) JT Marcinkowski, D (16) Brent Richards ©, D (11) Duke Lacroix, D (6) Thomas Janjigian, D (3) Benjamin Galindo Cruz, M (19) Kevin Partida, M (22) Siad Haji, M (10) Lindo Mfeka, M (14) Eric Calvillo F (21) Corey Hertzog, F (9) Danny Musovski
GK (25) Damion Lewis, D (2) Emrah Klimenta, M (45) Mattia Trianni, F (32) Luis Paradela, M (84) Seth Casiple, M (23) Sam Gleadle, M (24) Gilbert Fuentes
45' Emrah Klimenta Ã Thomas Janjigian
66' Sam Gleadle Ã Siad Haji
84' Seth Casiple Ã Danny Musovski
Corey Hertzog 45'
Brent Richards 54'
Corey Hertzog 55'
Lindo Mfeka 54', 55'
Benjamin Galindo Cruz 67'
Kevin Partida 75', 80'
Duke Lacroix 88'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 21, 2019
- Nashville SC Earns Result in Defensive Struggle against PIttsburgh Riverhounds - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvBST - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- LouCity Beats NY Red Bulls II 5-3 at Slugger - Louisville City FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC to Break Win Streak - Saint Louis FC
- Independence Shut Down by Swope Park - Charlotte Independence
- No. 2 Fresno FC vs. No. 1 Phoenix Rising FC Preview - Fresno FC
- Nashville SC Prepared for Gritty Battle against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Nashville SC
- It's Match Day in Tulsa - Tulsa Roughnecks FC vs Orange County SC - FC Tulsa
- Energy FC Host Penultimate Home Match Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Take on Tampa Bay Rowdies - Philadelphia Union II
- Energy FC Bolsters Squad with Two New Signings - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Ottawa Fury FC vs Hartford Athletic - Ottawa Fury FC
- Although a Hard-Fought Effort, Indy Eleven Falls 1-0 at Birmingham Legion FC - Indy Eleven
- Early Goal Not Enough against Reno 1868 FC - New Mexico United
- T2 Earn 6-3 Victory over Tacoma Defiance - Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Plays to 1-1 Draw Away at LA Galaxy II - San Antonio FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Decision at Portland Timbers 2 - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno Wins Second Straight on Road - Reno 1868 FC
- Legion FC Shuts Down Indy for Huge Win - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno 1868 FC Stories
- Reno Draws Sacramento to Keep First Place in Group A
- 1868 FC Faces First Opportunity to Seal First Place in Group A
- Christiano Francois and Younes Boudadi named to USL Team of the Week
- Reno Tops Portland Behind FranÃÂ§ois Brace
- Reno Looks to Keep Lead on Group a in Trip to Portland