Early Goal Not Enough against Reno 1868 FC
(ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico) Reno 1868 FC snapped New Mexico United's winning streak with a 3:1 win on Friday night. Corey Hertzog's brace and a third from Brent Richards secured the victory for Ian Russel's side and propelled them back into second place in the Western Conference.
New Mexico's Santi Moar found the net in the 7th minute, and United's 1:0 lead held until just before the halftime whistle. Brent Richard's cross fell fortuitously for Corey Hertzog, who finished with authority from 12 yards out. In the 50th minute, Santi Moar slid what appeared to be a perfectly timed ball through to Chris Wehan, who put it in the back of the net, but Wehan was judged to be offside and the goal was waived off. 4 minutes later, Brent Richards netted Reno's second of the evening, and just 1 minute later Hertzog notched his second to put the visitors up 3:1.
In the 80th minute, Reno's Kevin Partida saw his second yellow card of the evening, and was sent off. Despite a frenetic attack and flurry of opportunities, United could not beat Reno GK, James Marcinkowski again. New Mexico's frustrations with the result will be compounded by the fact that Santi Moar received his fifth yellow card of the season and will be unavailable for his side's next match against Phoenix Rising FC.
NM: Moar (7)
RNO: Hertzog (45, 55); Richards (54)
NM: Wehan, 27' (Yellow); Moar, 83' (Yellow)
RNO: Gallindo 68' (Yellow); Partida, 75' (Yellow) 80' (2nd yellow, Red); Lacroix, 88' (Yellow)
NM: Possession: 61.3% Shots: 13 Shots on Goal: 4 Saves: 2 Fouls: 8 Corner Kicks: 7 Offside: 2
RNO: Possession: 38.7% Shots: 8 Shots on Goal: 5 Saves: 3 Fouls: 9 Corner Kicks: 1 Offside: 2
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 21, 2019
- Nashville SC Earns Result in Defensive Struggle against PIttsburgh Riverhounds - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvBST - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- LouCity Beats NY Red Bulls II 5-3 at Slugger - Louisville City FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC to Break Win Streak - Saint Louis FC
- Independence Shut Down by Swope Park - Charlotte Independence
- No. 2 Fresno FC vs. No. 1 Phoenix Rising FC Preview - Fresno FC
- Nashville SC Prepared for Gritty Battle against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Nashville SC
- It's Match Day in Tulsa - Tulsa Roughnecks FC vs Orange County SC - FC Tulsa
- Energy FC Host Penultimate Home Match Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Take on Tampa Bay Rowdies - Philadelphia Union II
- Energy FC Bolsters Squad with Two New Signings - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Ottawa Fury FC vs Hartford Athletic - Ottawa Fury FC
- Although a Hard-Fought Effort, Indy Eleven Falls 1-0 at Birmingham Legion FC - Indy Eleven
- Early Goal Not Enough against Reno 1868 FC - New Mexico United
- T2 Earn 6-3 Victory over Tacoma Defiance - Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Plays to 1-1 Draw Away at LA Galaxy II - San Antonio FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Decision at Portland Timbers 2 - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno Wins Second Straight on Road - Reno 1868 FC
- Legion FC Shuts Down Indy for Huge Win - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- New Mexico United Relocates Another Home Match, Adds Local Broadcast
- New Mexico United Match against Phoenix to be Played in Phoenix
- New Mexico United Postpones Home Match against Real Monarchs SLC
- United Takes away Win at Colorado Springs in Return to Play
- New Mexico United Loans Ben Beaury to Reno 1868 FC for 2020 Season