San Antonio FC Plays to 1-1 Draw Away at LA Galaxy II
CARSON - San Antonio FC (10-11-8) tied LA Galaxy II (10-9-10) 1-1 at Dignity Health Sports Park on Friday night. A goal from forward Frank Lopez earned the Alamo City club a point on the road in its first of three matches in the span of nine days.
"Our players played good soccer at times tonight and got into good positions," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "You have to admire their character to earn a point after going down a man for the last 30-plus minutes of the game."
The hosts opened the scoring early in the first half when midfielder Jorge Hernandez buried a shot from long distance past SAFC goalkeeper Matthew Cardone in the eighth minute for the 1-0 lead.
SAFC equalized just two minutes later after midfielder Rafa Castillo flicked a header past the back line and into Lopez's run, which the Cuban striker finished with a half-volley to score his 13th goal of the season and seventh for the club. The assist also marked Castillo's first of the campaign.
The Alamo City club was then reduced to 10 men when midfielder Pecka was ejected from the match after being shown his second yellow card of the night in the 52nd minute.
With the result, SAFC remains in 10th place in the standings just above the playoff line pending results around the league over the weekend. The club will continue its push for the USL Championship Playoffs on Wednesday, Sept. 25 at 7 p.m. as the team visits Tulsa Roughnecks FC at ONEOK Field.
Galaxy II: 1-0, Jose Hernandez 8'
SAFC: 1-1, Frank Lopez (Rafa Castillo assist) 10'
Galaxy II: Yellow Card (Tomas Hilliard-Arce) 24'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Pecka) 49'
SAFC: Red Card (Pecka) 52'
Galaxy II: Yellow Card (Carlos Harvey) 61'
Galaxy II: Yellow Card (Geoffrey Acheampong) 82'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Walter Restrepo) 84'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Kai Greene, Eby Ackon, Joshua Yaro; M: Michael Lahoud, Pecka (c), Cristian Parano (Jack Barmby 81'), Rafa Castillo (Moises Hernadez 56'); F: Walter Restrepo, Frank Lopez (Tony Taylor 70'), Brian Gomez
Substitutions Not Used: Jonathan Viscosi, Johnny Fenwick, Ryan Roushandel, Ever Guzman
San Antonio FC earned their first road point since 8/10 at Reno...the 1-1 draw marks the fourth draw in four games on the road to LA Galaxy II in team history...SAFC has never scored more than one goal on the road to the Galaxy
SAFC forward Frank Lopez recorded four shots, two on target, two chances created and tallied a goal in the draw...the LA Galaxy II player on loan to SAFC has now scored 13 goals this season, including seven for the Alamo City club
San Antonio FC defender Kai Greene recorded three tackles, four clearances and two interceptions on the night along with a team-high 11 possessions gained...goalkeeper Matthew Cardone added three saves to round out the defense
SAFC midfielder Rafa Castillo recorded his first assist of the season in his second consecutive start...Castillo has now scored a goal and recorded an assist in his last two games, which were his first two appearances since 4/26 vs. Tacoma
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 21, 2019
- Nashville SC Earns Result in Defensive Struggle against PIttsburgh Riverhounds - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvBST - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- LouCity Beats NY Red Bulls II 5-3 at Slugger - Louisville City FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC to Break Win Streak - Saint Louis FC
- Independence Shut Down by Swope Park - Charlotte Independence
- No. 2 Fresno FC vs. No. 1 Phoenix Rising FC Preview - Fresno FC
- Nashville SC Prepared for Gritty Battle against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Nashville SC
- It's Match Day in Tulsa - Tulsa Roughnecks FC vs Orange County SC - FC Tulsa
- Energy FC Host Penultimate Home Match Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Take on Tampa Bay Rowdies - Philadelphia Union II
- Energy FC Bolsters Squad with Two New Signings - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Ottawa Fury FC vs Hartford Athletic - Ottawa Fury FC
- Although a Hard-Fought Effort, Indy Eleven Falls 1-0 at Birmingham Legion FC - Indy Eleven
- Early Goal Not Enough against Reno 1868 FC - New Mexico United
- T2 Earn 6-3 Victory over Tacoma Defiance - Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Plays to 1-1 Draw Away at LA Galaxy II - San Antonio FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Decision at Portland Timbers 2 - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno Wins Second Straight on Road - Reno 1868 FC
- Legion FC Shuts Down Indy for Huge Win - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- Match Notes - SAFC at FC Tulsa 9.26.20
- San Antonio FC Completes Unbeaten Home Record in Regular Season with 2-0 Win over OKC
- Match Notes, SAFC vs. OKC Energy FC 9.19.20
- San Antonio FC Adds Defender Liam Doyle and Midfielder Ethan Bryant to Roster
- San Antonio FC Schedule Update