STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC to Break Win Streak
MEMPHIS, Tn. - Saint Louis FC fell 1-0 away to Memphis 901 FC in front of 6,701 fans at AutoZone Park to break the club's five-game win streak in Match 29 of the USL Championship regular season.
Memphis 901 FC scored the lone goal from a corner kick in the 54th minute as Marcus Epps was found at the near post to score his first goal for the club. The result sees Saint Louis FC fall to 11-10-8 with 41 points while Memphis 901 FC improves to 8-13-7 with 31 points in the USL Championship Eastern Conference.
The first half was a back-and-forth affair with neither side creating many clear opportunities. The first chance would come to the away side in the 12th minute as Paris Gee found Russell Cicerone with a cross in the box but his header flashed over the net. Cicerone would have the next two chances as he took some speculative shots from outside the box in the 16th and 23rd minutes but both went wide of the target. Memphis would respond through Pierre da Silva in the 38th minute as he charged into the area but his shot sailed over the goal. The final chance of the first half came from Caleb Calvert as he received a long throw-in and his shot from outside the box on the half-volley flew over the net in the 45th minute to see both sides level at the break.
The second half saw more of the same as the STLFC defense limited the clear chances for Memphis until the 54th minute as Cameron Lindley picked out Epps at the near post with a corner kick and his header flashed by STLFC goalkeeper Jake Fenlason to break the club's clean sheet streak at four games. Substitute Lewis Hilton would then nearly make an immediate impact as his free kick in the 66th minute was palmed away from the bottom corner by Memphis goalkeeper Jeff Caldwell. The final chance for Saint Louis FC to equalize came in the 76th minute as Cicerone found Collin Fernandez at the top of the box but his first-time effort was collected by Caldwell and Memphis would hold on for their fifth win in a row to break Saint Louis FC's club-record streak at five wins.
"Ultimately the game has been decided on a restart where we don't do our jobs properly," said STLFC Head Coach Anthony Pulis. "I was disappointed with the first half display. The second half was an improvement but we didn't show enough killer instinct to capitalize on the chances."
Saint Louis FC vs. Atlanta United 2 - Saturday, September 28th at 7:30 p.m. CT
Memphis 901 FC vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds - Tuesday, September 24th at 7:00 p.m. CT
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 21, 2019
- Nashville SC Earns Result in Defensive Struggle against PIttsburgh Riverhounds - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvBST - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- LouCity Beats NY Red Bulls II 5-3 at Slugger - Louisville City FC
- STLFC Falls 1-0 Away to Memphis 901 FC to Break Win Streak - Saint Louis FC
- Independence Shut Down by Swope Park - Charlotte Independence
- No. 2 Fresno FC vs. No. 1 Phoenix Rising FC Preview - Fresno FC
- Nashville SC Prepared for Gritty Battle against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Nashville SC
- It's Match Day in Tulsa - Tulsa Roughnecks FC vs Orange County SC - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Energy FC Host Penultimate Home Match Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Take on Tampa Bay Rowdies - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Energy FC Bolsters Squad with Two New Signings - OKC Energy FC
- Match Preview: Ottawa Fury FC vs Hartford Athletic - Ottawa Fury FC
- Although a Hard-Fought Effort, Indy Eleven Falls 1-0 at Birmingham Legion FC - Indy Eleven
- Early Goal Not Enough against Reno 1868 FC - New Mexico United
- T2 Earn 6-3 Victory over Tacoma Defiance - Portland Timbers 2
- San Antonio FC Plays to 1-1 Draw Away at LA Galaxy II - San Antonio FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Decision at Portland Timbers 2 - Tacoma Defiance
- Reno Wins Second Straight on Road - Reno 1868 FC
- Legion FC Shuts Down Indy for Huge Win - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.