Long Island Defeats Westchester to Clinch Atlantic Division
LONG ISLAND - The Long Island Nets (32-16), the NBA G League affiliate of the Brooklyn Nets, defeated the Westchester Knicks (28-20) 110-102 at NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The win secured the Atlantic Division and a first round bye for Long Island. The Nets have also won nine straight home games, which marks the longest streak in the league this season and the longest streak in franchise history.
Brooklyn guard/forward Dzanan Musa scored a team-high 24 points with six rebounds and seven assists in 37 minutes of action while on assignment with Long Island. Long Island forward Mitch Creek logged a double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds along with two assists, a steal and a block in 32 minutes.
Dzanan Musa took over in the opening period, scoring 10 points for Long Island and leading the Nets to a 31-28 lead heading into the second quarter. Tight defense was the story for Long Island in the second, as they held Westchester to 19 points on 30 percent shooting from the field. The Nets held a 19-point lead going into the half, 66-47.
Westchester clawed back in the third quarter, holding the Nets to 17 points while scoring 27 of their own. Entering the final period of play Long Island led by nine, 83-74. The Nets held on in the fourth quarter, hitting some clutch free throws down the stretch to win this one by a score of 110-102.
Westchester guard Billy Garrett scored a game-high 30 points with four rebounds, four assists and a steal in 37 minutes, while Knicks center Jameel Warney registered a double-double scoring 16 points and grabbing 19 rebounds along with four assists, two steals and four blocks in 36 minutes.
Long Island will take on the Delaware Blue Coats on the road on Friday, March 22, at 7 p.m. ET, while Westchester will return home to take on the Maine Red Claws on Thursday, March 21, at 7 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Blue Coats Closed out by Raptors 905 - Delaware Blue Coats
- Iowa Takes Care of Business in Home Finale against Wisconsin - Iowa Wolves
- South Bay Boots Austin Back to Texas in Home Win - South Bay Lakers
- Long Island Defeats Westchester to Clinch Atlantic Division - Long Island Nets
- Charge Ground BayHawks in Front of Capacity Crowd - Canton Charge
- Warney's Double-Double Overshadowed In Loss To Nets - Westchester Knicks
- Go-Go Race Past Mad Ants in Home Finale - Capital City Go-Go
- Reed's 21 Points in D.C. Not Enough for Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- BayHawks Waive C.J. Anderson - Erie BayHawks
- Clippers Stay Hot, Come from Behind to Beat Legends - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Lose 111-107 to Austin Spurs at Kaiser Permanente Arena - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Legends Strike from Outside, Cut Short by Clippers - Texas Legends
- Suns' Bench Provides Lift, Not Enough in Loss to Swarm - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Nets Stories
- Long Island Nets Fall to the Raptors 905
- Long Island Falls Short to Santa Cruz Despite Late Rally
- Long Island Nets Fall to Wisconsin in Hard Fought Contest
- Long Island Nets and WRHU 88.7 FM Radio Hofstra University Expand Exclusive Broadcast Rights to Include Television Production
- Windy City Scores 46 Points in Fourth Quarter as Nets Drop Third Straight