Suns' Bench Provides Lift, Not Enough in Loss to Swarm
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. - The Northern Arizona Suns stayed within striking distance for most of the game against the Greensboro Swarm on Friday, but they couldn't get enough to go right to close the gap.
The Swarm (23-23) knocked off the Suns (11-36) at the Findlay Toyota Center 100-92 in Greensboro's first ever road game at Northern Arizona. It also marked the Swarm's first victory against the Suns, as NAZ had won the first two meetings in series history. Greensboro snapped a two-game skid, which is what the Suns are now currently at.
Greensboro outshot Northern Arizona throughout the night. The Swarm made 12-of-21 (.571) shots compared to NAZ's 10-of-26 (.385) clip in the first quarter to take a 30-25 lead. A similar second quarter yielded a one-point Greensboro advantage in the frame, as the Swarm took a 56-50 lead into the locker room. Both teams struggled from the field in the third quarter, with Greensboro taking as much as a 20-point advantage (78-58). The Suns rallied in the fourth, getting within seven points late, but it was too little, too late.
Peter Jok returned from a three-game absence to pace the Suns with 21 points on 7-of-13 shooting, including 5-of-10 from distance, to go with seven rebounds and two steals. His 21 points were part of a big effort for Northern Arizona's bench as a whole, who scored 42 of the team's 92 total points. The reserves were instrumental in the final frame keeping the game close, scoring 19 of the team's 23 points in the fourth.
Overall, the Suns made just 33-of-87 (.379) from the field compared to Greensboro's 39-of-88 (.443) mark. The Suns pounded the boards, winning the battle 54-43, but turnovers cost them, as they gave it away 19 times, leading to 25 points.
Four Suns joined Jok in double figures. Hollis Thompson tallied 16 points on 6-of-12 shooting and six rebounds. Daxter Miles Jr. got the start and recorded 14 points on 5-of-8 shooting, eight rebounds and four assists. Retin Obasohan had 12 points on 4-of-7 shooting and four assists. ShawnDre Jones tallied 10 points and a team-high six assists in just 15 minutes off the bench.
JP Macura led all scorers with 22 points on 7-of-15 shooting, including 5-of-10 from distance, to go with four assists. Chinanu Onuaku achieved a double-double with 10 points, 14 rebounds and four assists. Sam Thompson had 12 points on 6-of-11 shooting and five rebounds, while Jaylen Barford led the Swarm's bench with 10 points.
The Suns get a quick turnaround with a home game tomorrow against the Rio Grande Valley Vipers at 7 p.m. PT. The Swarm head back west for a Sunday matchup at the Stockton Kings at 1 p.m. PT.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 16, 2019
- Blue Coats Closed out by Raptors 905 - Delaware Blue Coats
- Iowa Takes Care of Business in Home Finale against Wisconsin - Iowa Wolves
- South Bay Boots Austin Back to Texas in Home Win - South Bay Lakers
- Long Island Defeats Westchester to Clinch Atlantic Division - Long Island Nets
- Charge Ground BayHawks in Front of Capacity Crowd - Canton Charge
- Warney's Double-Double Overshadowed In Loss To Nets - Westchester Knicks
- Go-Go Race Past Mad Ants in Home Finale - Capital City Go-Go
- Reed's 21 Points in D.C. Not Enough for Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- BayHawks Waive C.J. Anderson - Erie BayHawks
- Clippers Stay Hot, Come from Behind to Beat Legends - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Lose 111-107 to Austin Spurs at Kaiser Permanente Arena - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Legends Strike from Outside, Cut Short by Clippers - Texas Legends
- Suns' Bench Provides Lift, Not Enough in Loss to Swarm - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Northern Arizona Suns Stories
- NAZ Suns to Host Preseason Game against South Bay
- NAZ Suns Name Jordan Byrd, Tom Kuyper Team Broadcasters for 2019-20 Season
- NAZ Suns Roll out 2019-20 Promotional Schedule
- Jeff Feld Named Northern Arizona Suns General Manager
- NAZ Suns 2019-20 Single-Game Tickets on Sale