Lloyd, Hernandez Key Dragons Third Straight Win
Dayton, Ohio - Matt Lloyd collected three hits including a double and Miguel Hernandez added three hits and a run batted in to lead the Dayton Dragons to a 7-2 victory over the Fort Wayne TinCaps on Thursday night. The win was the Dragons third straight. They will try to complete a sweep of the series with Fort Wayne on Friday.
Hernandez has enjoyed three straight multi-hit games, going 8 for 9. He saw a streak of seven straight hits come to an end three short of the league record when he grounded out in the seventh inning.
The Dragons took a 2-0 lead in the second inning. Juan Martinez started the rally with a base hit to center field and scored on a double to left by Lloyd to make it 1-0. With two outs in the inning, Hernandez delivered a double to center field to drive in Jay Schuyler from first base to give the Dragons a 2-0 lead. The Dragons added another run in the fifth when Cameron Warren singled, went to second on a hit by Hernandez, to third on Miles Gordon's sacrifice, and scored on Michael Siani's sacrifice fly to make it 3-0.
Fort Wayne got a two-run home run from Dwanya Williams-Sutton in the sixth to cut the Dayton lead to 3-2, and the TinCaps loaded the bases in that same inning before Dragons reliever Tyler Gibson got a ground out to Hernandez at shortstop to end the threat. In the eighth, they put the first two men on base against Gibson, but he again pitched out of trouble, getting a double play grounder to Juan Martinez at third base.
The Dragons took command of the game with four runs in the bottom of the eighth inning. Warren's two-out, two-run single was the big hit, and Hernandez followed with an RBI single as the Dragons went ahead 7-2. Matt Pidich pitched a scoreless ninth inning to close out the Dragons win.
Dragons starting pitcher Eduardo Salazar fired four scoreless innings before coming out of the game with a 2-0 lead. Salazar allowed three hits and two walks with three strikeouts. Gibson (1-0) was credited with the win. He worked two and two-thirds innings, allowing two hits and no runs with two walks and two strikeouts.
The Dragons finished the night with 12 hits, giving them 64 over their last six games. Warren and Schuyler each had two hits along with the three-hit nights by Lloyd and Hernandez.
Up Next: The Dragons (26-33, 54-75) close out the series against Fort Wayne (24-35, 57-70) on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. before beginning a seven-game road trip on Saturday at Lake County. Clate Schmidt (1-0, 2.39) will start for the Dragons on Friday against Fort Wayne's Adrian Martinez (5-4, 3.63).
For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
On the Air: All Dragons home and road games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 22, 2019
- First Baseman Brodt Is Promoted to Double-A - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers Stay Hot with 6-2 Win over Bees - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Roederer's Multi-Home Run Performance Fuels 8-1 Cubs Win - South Bend Cubs
- Big 1st Helps Cubs Drop Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- McCarthy Fans 10 in Blowout Loss - Lake County Captains
- 10th Inning Houdini Act Clinches Series for Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Clinton Shuts Out Cedar Rapids in Second Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Beloit Falls in Extras to Kane County 2-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Loons Ride the Wave - Great Lakes Loons
- Lloyd, Hernandez Key Dragons Third Straight Win - Dayton Dragons
- Missed Opportunities Haunt Bandits in 2-1 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Win Second Straight, Clinch Series v. Bandits - Peoria Chiefs
- Williams-Sutton Homers, Fort Wayne Falls - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedar Rapids Experiences Deja Vu at Clinton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 22 at Dayton (Game 127) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- J.T. Perez placed on 7-day Injured List; Alex Schick activated from 7-day Injured List; LaMonte Wade assigned to Pensacola - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons President Robert Murphy Selected as Ballpark Digest Baseball Executive of the Year
- Dayton Dragons 2019 Season in Review
- Dragons Notch Walk-Off Win in Season Finale
- Dragons Notes for Monday
- Whitecaps Top Dragons 2-0 Before Season's Largest Crowd on Sunday Afternoon