Chiefs Win Second Straight, Clinch Series v. Bandits
Peoria, IL - With another last at-bat win on this homestand, the Peoria Chiefs defeated the first-place Quad Cities River Bandits 2-1 Thursday night at Dozer Park to clinch the series. Imeldo Diaz went two-for-four with two RBI to earn the Pekin Insurance Beyond the Expected Player of the Game.
The Chiefs opened the scoring in the bottom of the first against Quad Cities starter Valente Bellozo. Brendan Donovan led off with a single but was thrown out at second as Edwin Figuera reached on a fielder's choice. Figuera advanced to second on a groundout from Brady Whalen and scored on a double by Diaz for the 1-0 lead.
The game entered the bottom of the eighth tied, but Peoria took the lead against Quad Cities reliever Devin Conn. With one out, Donovan doubled and with two outs Whalen walked to put runners on first and second. Diaz knocked in his second run with a single to right field to score Donovan to give the Chiefs a 2-1 lead.
Logan Gragg took the no decision pitching four shutout innings, allowing two hits with two walks and five strikeouts. Wilfredo Pereira (1-0) earned the win, pitching 4 2/3 innings allowing one run on five hits with one walk and five strikeouts. Sebastian Tabata pitched the final third of an inning, striking out the only batter he faced to earn his fifth save of the season.
The Chiefs conclude their seven-game homestand against the Quad Cities River Bandits Friday at 6:35 p.m. The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 6:20 p.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets. The game is also available on MiLB.TV for subscribers.
Friday night is Spider Hill Fright Night at Dozer Park. The crew from Spider Hill will make an appearance to turn Dozer Park into a Halloween-themed destination. They will be in costume and character all night long and have props set up both inside and outside Dozer Park for fans to enjoy. The Chiefs will welcome trick or treaters all night long with a Halloween Candy Giveaway. Fans both in and out of costume will get candy at the front gate when they enter the park as a giveaway present from the Chiefs to kick off their Fright night experience. There will also be postgame fireworks from Central Illinois Fireworks and a pitch in for charity to benefit the Tremont Marching Band.
Individual game tickets, group tickets and season ticket packages, including full-season, a 35-game ticket package, an 18-game ticket package or a Flex Plan are currently on sale by calling 309-680-4000. Individual game tickets are also on sale with the Dozer Park Box Office open Monday - Friday from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm and online at www.peoriachiefs.com which also lists all of the season's promotions. Game times and promotions are subject to change.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 22, 2019
- First Baseman Brodt Is Promoted to Double-A - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers Stay Hot with 6-2 Win over Bees - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Roederer's Multi-Home Run Performance Fuels 8-1 Cubs Win - South Bend Cubs
- Big 1st Helps Cubs Drop Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- McCarthy Fans 10 in Blowout Loss - Lake County Captains
- 10th Inning Houdini Act Clinches Series for Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Clinton Shuts Out Cedar Rapids in Second Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Beloit Falls in Extras to Kane County 2-1 - Beloit Snappers
- Loons Ride the Wave - Great Lakes Loons
- Lloyd, Hernandez Key Dragons Third Straight Win - Dayton Dragons
- Missed Opportunities Haunt Bandits in 2-1 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Win Second Straight, Clinch Series v. Bandits - Peoria Chiefs
- Williams-Sutton Homers, Fort Wayne Falls - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cedar Rapids Experiences Deja Vu at Clinton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 22 at Dayton (Game 127) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- J.T. Perez placed on 7-day Injured List; Alex Schick activated from 7-day Injured List; LaMonte Wade assigned to Pensacola - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 16
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Bobble Heads and Theme Ticket Packages
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Fireworks Dates
- Chiefs Scholarship Applications Open Until March 4
- Almonte Returns as Chiefs Manager in 2020; Gabella & Martin Join Staff