Lemurs Take Third Straight from AirHogs
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - The Laredo Lemurs took their third consecutive contest from the Grand Prairie AirHogs, beating a shorthanded squad 5-3 Sunday night at QuikTrip Park.
Laredo (35-38) scored three runs in the third and two in the fifth, while the AirHogs (41-33) got two in the third and one in the eighth but were shut down by three Lemurs relievers to the tune of one run on three hits in 5 2/3 innings.
John Brownell (7-5) lost his fourth straight decision, allowing all five runs on seven hits and two walks in eight innings of work. He retired the first seven hitters on five groundouts and two strikeouts, but walked Brian Peterson with one out in the third on a close 3-2 pitch to start trouble. Anthony Scelfo followed with a single and Stephen Douglas lined a two-run double to right-center to put Laredo on top. Douglas then just beat Jonny Kaplan's throw from left on a single by Jimmy Mojica to make it 3-0.
With one out in the bottom of the inning, Keanon Simon walked and stole second against starter Tony Butler, before Kaplan singled and a wild pitch brought Simon in. Jairo Perez flied out, but Trent Lockwood walked and Chris McMurray bounced a double right over third base to make it 3-2. Butler walked Kenny Held to load the bases, but Yasutsugu Nishimoto grounded into a fielder's choice to end the inning.
Mojica tripled with one out in the fifth to bring in Douglas and give the Lemurs a two-run lead, which was extended to three on Palmer Karr's groundout to first.
Leonard Giammanco (2-4), who got Kaplan on a 5-4-3 double play on his first pitch to end the fourth, allowed a double and a single with two outs in the fifth, but Nishimoto lined out to Mojica at short to end that threat.
After that, Giammanco got the next six hitters out until McMurray's solo home run with one out in the eighth, but he struck out Held to finish his night. Chaz Roe got a groundout and a strikeout to end the eighth, and closer Mike Benacka struck out two more in a 1-2-3 ninth to get his sixth save.
Notes: The win clinches the Lemurs' first series win in five tries against the AirHogs.Benacka threw for the third straight day and has struck out seven of the 10 hitters he has faced, allowing only a hit batter.McMurray homered for the first time since July 6 and hit his 11th of the year. It was also his first three-extra-base-hit game.The AirHogs have struck out 31 times in the first three games of the series, including 11 each of the last two nights.All five RBIs and five of Laredo's eight hits came from the top three hitters in the order.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs conclude their four-game series against the Laredo Lemurs at QuikTrip Park on Monday, August 6, at 7:05 p.m. It is Margarita Monday, with $1 off all margaritas at the ballpark. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 5, 2012
- Goldeyes Finish Trip 3-3 - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- X's Come back to Top Winnipeg - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lemurs Take Third Straight from AirHogs - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Win Third In a Row - Laredo Lemurs
- Gonzalez, Einertson Go Deep As Diablos Win Series Over Sox - El Paso Diablos
- Lowey Outduels Gehle to Beat Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Lowey Sets Team Record in Rubber Match Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Snap Four Game Losing Streak, Bounce Back to Win Game Two of Double Header 5-2 - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Split Doubleheader with Saints - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saints Can't Hang on to Late Lead, Lose 7-5 in Game One of Double Header - St. Paul Saints
- Caldera, RedHawks Complete Sweep in 2-1 Victory - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Caldera Outduels Sheldon as Birds Complete Sweep - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Brief Pitchers' Duel Goes to Boulders - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs