Legion FC Match Preview
Birmingham Legion FC at Charleston Battery
Saturday, June 8 - 6:30PM CT Kickoff - MUSC Health Stadium, Charleston, SC
Watch - My68, ESPN+
Legion FC is back on the road this weekend as it takes on the Charleston Battery on Saturday, June 8 at 6:30PM CT. The boys will look to regroup and rebound from a loss in the league last weekend versus the league-leading Tampa Bay Rowdies. BHM's tough run of games does not get any easier, with CHS being the sixth team above the playoff line of the last seven opponents.
After playing two games a week for most of May, Assistant Coach Khano Smith said the squad have looked to capitalize on the opportunity for some rest and extra training ahead of this road trip. Smith said, "when you do have games twice a week you're just always preparing for the next game, so it's hard to do stuff on the training field because you can't push the players to get the distance. All you're doing is recovering and getting ready for the next game, so you can't get in any real work."
"We've been preparing for Charleston this week - traditionally, historically always a good team in this league, always makes the playoffs. So, it's going to be another tough one on Saturday, but we feel like we're getting guys back from injury so competition for places is getting more intense and that's always good."
"Charleston work hard, and they work together. I think they have real good team chemistry. Obviously, the coach has been there a while, and he knows what he likes and what works. He recruits the types of players that fit the way he likes to play, and you can see that they all buy in. We need to collectively narrow in on what we need to do to beat them, take away their strengths, and expose their weaknesses."
The Charleston Battery started the 2019 USL Championship season on a good run of form, winning three of their first six matches and only losing one of their first nine. Despite the form tailing off a bit recently, Charleston still sit above the playoff line in ninth place in the Eastern Conference.
The Battery are led in the attack by #11 Zeiko Lewis, whose 25 shots and 22 chances created are good for 19th and 13th best in the league, while his four goals on the season lead the team. Goalkeeper Joe Kuzminsky is also an anchor at the back, and his 29 saves are third-best in the East.
Mike Anhaeuser is the Battery Head Coach and has been in that role since 2005, after playing for the Battery from 1994-1999 and serving as an assistant coach from 1999-2004. As head coach, he's won two USL Cups, been named league Coach of the Year once, and made a U.S. Open Cup final.
#3 Kyle Fisher (hamstring) and #27 Eddie Opoku (ankle) are both out, as per the VIVA Health injury report. #11 JJ Williams has been recalled to MLS by the Columbus Crew, and #21 Zach Herivaux has joined the Haitian National Team on an international call-up ahead of this summer's Gold Cup.
Follow @bhmlegion on Twitter for more info and live game updates from South Carolina, and watch live on My68 or ESPN+.
Legion FC heads back to the Carolinas next weekend to face the Charlotte Independence on Saturday, June 15 at 6:00PM CT. The next home match at BBVA Compass Field is on Saturday, June 22 as BHM takes on Hartford Athletic. Tickets are available at bhmlegion.com/tickets or by calling the Legion FC Ticket Office at 205-600-4635.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 7, 2019
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-1 against New York Red Bulls II - Atlanta United 2
- Three Things to Know About Sunday's Nashville SC Match at Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Legion FC Match Preview - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Reno 1868 FC at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Three Upcoming Bethlehem Steel FC Matches Moved to Alternative Locations - Philadelphia Union II
- North Carolina FC Closes Three-Game USL Road Trip on Saturday Versus Tampa Bay - North Carolina FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - June 8, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Memphis 901 FC Returns to AutoZone Park Tomorrow as It Hosts Eastern Conference Foe Indy Eleven - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Toros Face Monarchs in Utah - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: San Antonio FC v Reno 1868 FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Nashville SC to Host Women's World Cup Watch Parties as Part of "Fan Jam Series" - Nashville SC
- Canadian National Team Player & MLS Veteran Dejan Jakovic Joins Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Defender Neveal Hackshaw to Represent Trinidad & Tobago at CONCACAF Gold Cup - Indy Eleven
- Nashville SC Hosts Second Annual Trivia Cup at Bavarian Bierhaus - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvNC - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Energy FC Wrap up Road Trip Tomorrow in Fresno - OKC Energy FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Welcomes Rio Grande Valley FC to Herriman for Pups at the Pitch Night - Real Monarchs SLC
- U.S. Open Cup Hero Signs with Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Louisville City Giving Free Tickets to Educators Saturday - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Legion FC Stories
- Alex Crognale Named Legion FC Defensive Player of the Year
- Legion FC Falls in Conference Quarterfinals
- Playoff Match Preview: Legion FC at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Saturday, October 10
- Legion FC Clinches Spot in 2020 USL Championship Playoffs
- Legion FC Clinches Spot in Playoffs Despite Loss at Memphis