Defender Neveal Hackshaw to Represent Trinidad & Tobago at CONCACAF Gold Cup
INDIANAPOLIS - Indy Eleven's Neveal Hackshaw will have a very excused absence from the Boys in Blue across the upcoming weeks, this after the defender was named to the Trinidad & Tobago Men's National Team roster ahead of the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup, the regional championship tournament for North America, Central America and the Caribbean.
The 23-year-old defender was named to the Soca Warriors' 23-man tournament roster by coach Dennis Lawrence on Thursday, meaning the defender will miss at least Indy Eleven's next four USL Championship contests through June 26 - and potentially more should T&T advance out of the tournament's group stage. Hackshaw is one of eight players from USL Championship squads named to the T&T roster ahead of the tournament.
"It's always an honor to represent my country," said Hackshaw. "No game in the Gold Cup is going to be easy. It'll depend on who wants to win more. All the games are going to be tough, but we just have to stick to our game plan and work through the stormy weather."
In preparation for the Gold Cup, Hackshaw made his 10th appearance for the Trinidad & Tobago Senior MNT Wednesday in Japan, when he played the final six minutes of the 0-0 draw. He will also be on the roster for a neutral-site friendly against Canada this Monday, June 10, at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. From there, Hackshaw and the rest of the Soca Warriors will then turn their attention to Gold Cup Group D action, featuring games against Panama (Tuesday, June 18, in Minneapolis), the United States (Saturday, June 22, in Cleveland) and Guyana (Wednesday, June 26, in Kansas City, Kan.). Visit www.GoldCup.org for full tournament schedule and television coverage details.
Hackshaw made his senior international debut in March 2015 as a substitute in a Copa America Centenario qualifying round match against Haiti, coming two months after he represented Trinidad & Tobago in the CONCACAF Under-20 Championship tournament.
In league play, Hackshaw has been a vital cog for one of the league's best defenses during his first season in Indy. The defender departs for international duty as one of five "Boys in Blue" who have started the team's first 11 USL Championship contests and leads the squad in clearances (38), blocks (10), interceptions (17) and duels won against opponents (73). But he's more than just a defender, as Hackshaw's 696 passes completed (at an 81% completion rate) leads the team and places sixth in the USL Championship's Eastern Conference. Hackshaw has one Championship Team of the Week appearance under his belt in 2019 after a stellar all-around performance in Indy's scoreless duel against Nashville SC on May 25.
After spending the last month at home in league action, Indy Eleven will hit the road the next two weekends, beginning with Saturday's first-ever meeting against expansion side Memphis 901 FC. Kickoff for tomorrow's contest at AutoZone Park is set for 8:30 p.m., and the match will be streamed live online via ESPN+.
After another road tilt on June 15 at another expansion side, Loudoun United FC, Indy Eleven will return home on Saturday, June 22, when it welcomes Atlanta United FC 2 to the Circle City for a 7:00 p.m. kickoff on Grateful Dead Night at Lucas Oil Stadium. Tickets for that contest - and matches in quick succession on Wednesday, June 26, against Birmingham Legion FC and a rivalry contest against Louisville City FC on Saturday, June 29 - remain available for as little as $15 and can be purchased at indyeleven.com/tickets or by calling 317-685-1100.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 7, 2019
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-1 against New York Red Bulls II - Atlanta United 2
- Three Things to Know About Sunday's Nashville SC Match at Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Legion FC Match Preview - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Reno 1868 FC at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Three Upcoming Bethlehem Steel FC Matches Moved to Alternative Locations - Philadelphia Union II
- North Carolina FC Closes Three-Game USL Road Trip on Saturday Versus Tampa Bay - North Carolina FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - June 8, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Memphis 901 FC Returns to AutoZone Park Tomorrow as It Hosts Eastern Conference Foe Indy Eleven - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Toros Face Monarchs in Utah - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: San Antonio FC v Reno 1868 FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Nashville SC to Host Women's World Cup Watch Parties as Part of "Fan Jam Series" - Nashville SC
- Canadian National Team Player & MLS Veteran Dejan Jakovic Joins Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Defender Neveal Hackshaw to Represent Trinidad & Tobago at CONCACAF Gold Cup - Indy Eleven
- Nashville SC Hosts Second Annual Trivia Cup at Bavarian Bierhaus - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvNC - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Energy FC Wrap up Road Trip Tomorrow in Fresno - OKC Energy FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Welcomes Rio Grande Valley FC to Herriman for Pups at the Pitch Night - Real Monarchs SLC
- U.S. Open Cup Hero Signs with Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Louisville City Giving Free Tickets to Educators Saturday - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indy Eleven Stories
- Indy Eleven Secures Crucial Point in 1-1 Draw Against Saint Louis FC
- Indy Eleven Falls 0-2 In Last Chapter of 2020 Rivalry with Louisville City FC
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven vs. Louisville City FC: Wednesday, September 16
- Crucial Three Points Puts Indy Eleven Back Atop Group E Standings
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven vs. Sporting Kansas City II: Wednesday, September 9